Report: Nvidia GTX 480 to Have Disabled Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmung

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
The more and more i read about these cards the less and less i think the 5800 series will drop in price, but i have waited this long for a new card i could hold out till the official benchmarks come out.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
6 months late, AMD already has near a dozen DX11 parts out, this will likely cost more than equivalent AMD cards (based on transistor count and yields), and run hotter and louder to top it all off.

*Starts slow clap for Nvidia*

rage machine

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Although i don't like the idea of throwing out tons of video cards...it just doesn't seem right to sell them to customers if they have disabled cores. Rather, it seems like if they are making lower models with the same material than the highest model should be equal cost...

I think im going in circles. I don't like the idea.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Speculations won't stop til Friday. Even if this is true, if they work, that's what counts. GTX260's technically had 240 cores, originally with 48 disabled, then 32. It's just teething pains.

I'd be more concerned with just how much power these things will consume. The ~290W figures are just plain scary.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
No what they will do with these defective cores and chips is they will make a GTX475.... an inbetweener like the previously defective GTX275 and Ati's 4830's. This will allow a new SKU to be introduced but in reality it is nothing but a simple recycling of a non-perfect or non=standard GPU.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]6 months late, AMD already has near a dozen DX11 parts out, this will likely cost more than equivalent AMD cards (based on transistor count and yields), and run hotter and louder to top it all off. *Starts slow clap for Nvidia*[/citation]
Enough with the DX11 argument. How many games have you played which are true DX11? And how many DX11 "compatible" games look any better then their DX10 or even DX9 hybrid counterparts? I am all for DX11, but it's nonsense at this point to make it seem like the DX11 issue is the make it or break it thing regarding the ATI vs nvidia race. I own an nvidia, but I know ATI rocks and next purchase i'll be making will be an objective one, not based on brand loyalty.

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Stop fluffing Fermi! I can't think of anything else that's had this many articles without any actual substance! when the benches come out then I'll be interested, and if theres benchmarks with the disabled cores unlocked I'll be extremely interested, till then give me a break please.

What like a 5830?

Do you like the idea of a 5830 then as it's kind of the same thing?

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
[citation][nom]gtx1924[/nom]@Tomshardware: Thats old news. Other sites such as Fudzilla reported that earlier. Also check out Bright Side of News to see why they disabled the cores---rather than limiting the amount of 512-core cards they give partners, they increased the supply of 480-core cards such that it outnumbers ATi's supply 2:1 by the time Fermi is launched. Funny you didnt mention that.[/citation]

You think the 480 card supply outnumbers ATI's 58xx series 2:1? I guess thats why Nvidia said availability will be scarce till April 6.

manitoublack

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
It's odd that NVidia is having trouble with 40nm yields, since both AMD and Nvidia Chips a MADE IN THE SAME BUILDING at Taiwanese Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC.) Maybe Nvidia should contract intel which seems to be having no such issues at 32nm...

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
CPU and GPU processes are very different. Nvidia couldn't just go to Intel and ask to use their process. Also... there's no way Intel would let ANYONE use its fabs, they spend a fortune to ensure their process is first and fastest.

And LOTS of video cards come out with disabled cores. HD 5850, GTX 260, 8800GT, X800GTO, there's a bunch of others. What matters is performance, price, and then heat, noise, and power. Whether or not a card has disabled cores doesn't make any different.

teeth_03

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
[citation][nom]manitoublack[/nom]It's odd that NVidia is having trouble with 40nm yields, since both AMD and Nvidia Chips a MADE IN THE SAME BUILDING at Taiwanese Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC.) Maybe Nvidia should contract intel which seems to be having no such issues at 32nm...[/citation]

I think your getting AMD confused with VIA. I'm not an expert, but I would think GlobalFoundries does AMDs stuff...

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
ACC can unlock the fourth core on some AMD triple core CPUs. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens here to allow those with 512 good cores to push the card to its full potential.

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
[citation][nom]builderbobftw[/nom]Like the 5850?[/citation]
I wouldnt buy 5850 nor gtx 480 or amd x3. i dont care about brand/manufacturer, what I care about is a 100% healthy, 100% able hardware. its like buying a v6 car with 2 disabled pistons. just doesnt sound right, does it ?

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]manitoublack[/nom]It's odd that NVidia is having trouble with 40nm yields, since both AMD and Nvidia Chips a MADE IN THE SAME BUILDING at Taiwanese Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC.) Maybe Nvidia should contract intel which seems to be having no such issues at 32nm...[/citation]

The TSMC yield issues were also apparent in the earlier Radeon's, I suggest you do more reading. They most likely did a similar thing to their cards to correct the issues, or worked something out with TSMC, that I'm not sure about.

But since we don't know everything, lets take the big company and turn them into an evil corporate monster! Why not? /sarcasm, seriously? Try being brand neutral or keep your "opinions" to yourself.

As for using a card with disabled cores....a card with less cores is better than a card with voltage leaking and performance flounders/crashing. Simply put of course.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]jimishtar[/nom]I wouldnt buy 5850 nor gtx 480 or amd x3. i dont care about brand/manufacturer, what I care about is a 100% healthy, 100% able hardware. its like buying a v6 car with 2 disabled pistons. just doesnt sound right, does it ?[/citation]

If it's advertised as a 4 piston engine and performs as such, why do you care? If you can find me 100% healthy and 100% able hardware, you tell me please.

Status
Not open for further replies.