Report: Nvidia to Cut Prices in Nov. to Compete with AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sli 580s are struggling like mad with some of these latest titles, and a ENB & +/- 200 mods Skyrim, and ENB+modded GTA IV. I'm pretty confident they'll hold up well with Battlefield 4, which is right around the corner. Must... hold... out... until next year lol.

bharatwd

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2012
Ok, so since we know that Nvidia will have a price cut.......people are going to wait a month......So why not just on the wagon now and enhance sales by cutting the price immediately? Obviously, this news must be a leak......so since this news is out, there might be a price cut sooner.........

Traciatim

Distinguished
It's nice to see some competition to push thing along in the GPU market. Too bad the headline would be "Intel rolls over and goes to sleep to compete with AMD" on th CPU side of things.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
I'm right there with you clonazepam, I'm technically holding off to see maxwell but the second iteration of it though is what I'm really waiting for. I'm pretty confident BF4 or any PC game for the next year or so won't really hit two 580's too hard unless the Res you play at then possibly it would, always depends on the res, and 3D but i have no interest in that.

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
@ bharatwd

The reason Nvidia does not do a price cut now could be for a lot of reasons.
1. Nvidia can beat the new AMD chip. The 680 GK 104 chip was developed at the same time as the GK 110 chip. AMD was only able to keep up with the GK104 chip. Nvidia only released the Titan GK 110 chip and the 780 as AMD was able to improve drivers and OC the current 7970 chips. AMD is now coming out with a new chip, and I'm sure Nvidia has a pretty good idea about the power of that card. AMD is now on its 2nd gen and its rumored to only just beat the current GK 110 chip. There is nothing holding Nvidia back from releasing a faster 110 chip to beat the new AMD chip.

2. If someone is only willing to purchase a new gpu after the price drop, and someone is willing to buy a card before the price drop, then Nvidia should hold the higher price for as long as possible. Until the new AMD cards come out to justify a price drop, its better to maximize profits for now. Every company does this, even AMD, which is why for a short time, you saw the original 7970 at a higher price point than the gtx 680.

My 6950 is getting old, and it would be nice to get a new gpu. I hope AMD puts out a card that causes a price drop in the market. I don't care who wins in the short run, as long as capitalism works and companies compete, which AMD has been doing. There is nothing wrong with Nvidia charging higher prices, when nothing can compete. Graphic cards are not a right or necessary for life, so if you cant afford one, don't get one. If prices are too high, another company will make a product to under cut that price, and the consumer wins. Yay for profits constrained by competition!

slomo4sho

Distinguished
AMD may screw themselves hard here in this segment. Their entire re-branded lineup appears to provides nothing new and many of the cards such as the 270X(2GB ram and 256bit bus with supposed Tahiti LE core) are actually inferior to current offering at the same price point.If the 770 and 760 drops down to $300 and $200 respectively, AMDs entire re-branded lineup will once again lose their price/performance appeal that they are currently holding.

Hopefully there are some performance enhancements in AMDs new lineup. I guess we will know on Octuber 3 or 15 when the NDA expires.

hannibal

Distinguished
Competition is good! :)
We just need some company that can produce AMD CPUs in 22nm to 14nm so that there would be some competition in CPU market too... In GPU market the situation is much better, because both Nvidia and AMD are using the same producers for the GPU, so there is not manufacturing advantage to any side!
The first slides that we got were a good mark for price reduction and it is going to happen even the new cards are even not out yet! Very good indeed!

xiinc37

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
AMD really should have made the Hawaii gpu with full blown GK110 in mind, not the gimped one in the Titan and K20X. As soon as they release it, nvidia will just take the crown right back...

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
@ hannibal

Here is the problem on the CPU side. Desktop sales are flat or declining even as world population is growing. The desktop cpu market is not the future. AMD would have to heavily invest in research to catch up to Intel for destop cpus. AMD is better off investing into growing markets such as cell phones and tablets. Unless AMD stumbles onto some innovation in the cpu market, you are not likely to see anything come out that could rival Intel. AMD does have the advantage in APUs and that helped get a big set of contracts with Sony and Microsoft. The current cycle for processors has been for efficiency and not raw power. Intel beats ARM in processing power, but uses to much energy and has had little success in mobile as of yet.

SilverWolf9000

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
Does no one realize that at GPU14 in Hawaii, AMD used a SINGLE gpu for 5760x1080p BATTLEFIELD 4?! No Nvidia gpu can say, "Pft, piece of cake." Sorry Nvidia, but AMD has my vote once again.

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
@ xiinc37

What makes you think AMD did not try to beat Nvidia with a "full blown gk110?" If AMD could have put out a card that beat the best that Nvidia could do at a price point lower, they would have. AMD may still be able to do that, but its not from what I have seen. Granted, the gk 110 chip is larger and should be more expensive to make, but it steal beats AMDs cards at the price point they are sold. Maybe the R9 can change that. We will see soon.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
One word guys: Mantle.
290x is said to wipe the floor with Titan at BF4, thanks to it.
It is said to be the API used on xbone / PS4, which means most games will be optimized for AMD hardware OUT OF THE BOX, no additional effort for devs.

Provided, Mantle takes off, of course.

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
@ xiinc37

What makes you think AMD did not try to beat Nvidia with a "full blown gk110?" If AMD could have put out a card that beat the best that Nvidia could do at a price point lower, they would have. AMD may still be able to do that, but its not from what I have seen. Granted, the gk 110 chip is larger and should be more expensive to make, but it steal beats AMDs cards at the price point they are sold. Maybe the R9 can change that. We will see soon.

slomo4sho

Distinguished

I'll wait for the actual benchmarks instead of just going off marketing rhetoric...

Conveniently, mantel isn't going to be available until after the holiday season, lets see how many people that buy into the marketing hype are disappointed after Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.