News Report: Outdated Intel RST Driver Behind Windows 10 Update Woes

xShoot4WarAmpsx

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
The solution to this is to go to C:\windows\system32\drivers and delete or rename iastora.sys. The problem is updating the driver or removing the software does not touch this driver file. Then restart the update. The refresh wont notice the change either. Would have been useful Information for MS to share.......

Reactions: MaxzlandKim
Jul 31, 2019
The solution to this is to go to C:\windows\system32\drivers and delete or rename iastora.sys. The problem is updating the driver or removing the software does not touch this driver file. Then restart the update. The refresh wont notice the change either. Would have been useful Information for MS to share.......
It works! Thanks a lot.

Aug 1, 2019

This caused my system to no longer boot, giving me a heart attack. Lucking I was able to get a C:\ prompt from the window repair screen and undo my rename. It may have been weird circumstances in my case but moral of the story is always RENAME first, and maybe DELETE later if all goes well.

Edit: after reading up a bit more this was likely because the new driver had not completed installation, my bad.
That being the case I think I'll wait awhile before trying either update again.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS