Report: Samsung Chooses Intel for Next Android Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Intel gave bribe money to Samsung for not choosing AMD APUs . AMDs Jaguar APUs is clearly superior in performance and power efficiency compared to any production Intel processor. This is injustice to the consumers.

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011

This clearly makes you an AMD fanboy. Wake up, dear. Yes, the Jaguar is good, but if Samsung want to use Intel, let them be. Maybe they get better deal with Intel than AMD. It's business afterall.

Perfomance? Yes, AMD APU is way better.

Power? Definitely not compared to this particular atom.

If you knew anything about the atom there using, you'll know that it design for mainly Smart Phones. Something the AMD (last i checked) is not targeting.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/atom-z2580-clover-trail-medfield,3446.html

So using something that specifically design for a phone vs something that design for a beefier power tablet, the power requirements are not going to be the same.

As for why Samsung chose the Atom over the APU, probably battery life or it may have something to do with that this atom works Android while the Jaguar APU (as far as I know) is only targeted at Windows X86 tablets. Thus, for Samsung, would not make any sense for them run a cpu that doesn't work for there needs.

Now if someone actually finds some solid info that the AMD Jaguar is also meant to be used with the Andriod OS, then I'll removed the part above about "Jaguar APU is only targeted at Windows X86 tablets". Although this is the info i'm finding ATM.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010

They must not want people playing HD games.

ANGRYBIRDS4LIFE. lol.

Maybe they're getting bribed by Rovio (or threatened by carrier pigeons).

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Well, some of the ATIV tablets were expected to have Clover Trail in them.
Only the Galaxy Tab is news, that too not new.
The real take away is that Intel probably has Samsung at least (and it's likely that it has Asus too, evidenced by the Padfone or Phonepad or whatever) on board for Silvermont based stuff. Galaxy S5 just may have Atom inside.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
X86 in our android tablets...
You'd think they would have went AMD for tablets because the Jaguar chips are more powerful but Samsung might be getting a better deal out of Intel by using Intel chips in both their phones and tablets down the line, and maybe I'm just overestimating tablet gaming which would push me towards the AMD chips if I were making the tablets myself.
Can't wait to see how the Intel and AMD X86 chips in tablets stack up against the ARM based chips with Nvidia gpus and Adreno gpus. Really, really looking forward to that one so I have a better idea which tablet to shell out next for since my Viewsonic G-Tablet with a XDA rom is getting a bit long in the tooth.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010

You have to understand, tablets are breaching the PC/Notebook market. If these consumers wanted a phone, they'd buy a phone. Instead, they are buying a mobile computing device, it should be able to handle all the things that you're trying to replace with it. Otherwise it's just a fancy web browser/eReader that costs way more than it should.

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
I thought Samsung had an ARM license and made ARM chips? It seems like lately they are using other company's chips, instead of their own.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
If this article proves true (we'll have to wait and see) Samsung has probably previewed Intel's latest and greatest architecture (Something none of us have unless we work for a hardware manufacturer's R&D).

I love the comments about Samsung making a mistake. This is a rumor, not a fact.

The next Atom is supposed to be revolutionary compared to it's ancestors.

I can safely say that Samsung, of all companies, knows better than all of us which chips to put in it's tablets.

I highly doubt a company like Samsung would chose Intel chips over it's own ARM licensed chips unless there was good reason.

Change happens, it's the only constant in the universe...

immanuel_aj

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012

Um, this is Samsung. From what I see of their products, they just try and make everything they can and see which ones are popular. I don't see how this is any different, they're just saying "Okay, let's try the Intel chips this time and we'll see how it goes! If it's good, we'll do it again!"

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008

YUP, and how has that strategy done for them? I think quite swimmingly well! If it doesn't sell and is a flop then another company has a chance of taking Samsung's current Android crown.

cozmium

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Samsung: If you want me to replace my old original GT, you HAVE to improve the screens. Whilst the performance improvement would be welcome, 1280x800 just can't cut it anymore.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Not really. The Windows 8 pro tablets are basically full laptops in a tablet form factor, minus a CD drive. Micro HDMI port for plugging into monitors, USB ports, full windows... I'm even playing the new Neverwinter Online on my Iconia W700 tablet. Heck, this message is typed in said tablet plugged into my TV.

Android, Apple, and Windows RT tablets are toys for media consumption being teir first priority. Windows pro tablets are a different beast. I have no objection to getting more power in the type of tablet I'm using now.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
So Intel says 1920x1200 is best for tablets but samsung uses half of nexus 10's res...1280x800? They should all be 1920x1200 or 1080p at 10in+. We do not want games being made below 1080p. PERIOD. This should be min today. Apple's ipad and nexus 10 are already above all of these.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Well, we don't know, but choosing Atom and forgetting AMD's new low power APUs that wipe the floor with Intel's offering doesn't make sense indeed.

2All the clueless: Intel makes good (and pricey, often too) chips, but Atom is NOT ONE OF THEM.

A shame that there are so many clueless posting here that downvoted you.

Status
Not open for further replies.