Report: T-Mobile Set to End Phone Contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
sounds like t-mobile is planning on a buisness model like vergin mobile .. sounds like a good deal especially if they offer phone purchase plans verses lump sum purchases .. and month to month has always been a better deal because your not locked into a contract with fixed minutes and data rates

slomo4sho

Distinguished
Oh look one of the big 4 are actually adapting and changing their business model to mimic cell phone service everywhere else in the world besides the USA. Definitely a step in the right direction. Now only if we could get data service comparable to South Korea :)

Anyone familiar with Page Plus Cellular? Been looking at some of their yearly plans for my father. He wouldn't be a heavy user, just wants one for emergency situations. They have an $80 2,000 minute plan that lasts a year. I doubt he'd use anywhere near that, but if he is about to run out, he can add more minutes. He damn sure won't be texting or sending pictures of his old sack to friends. Don't think so, anyway.

Anyway, just wanted to ask. Heck, most of their other plans look decent, too.

Thanks in advance.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
T-mobile has some excellent deals, such as there $30, 100 minute, unlimited text, 5gb 4G data and unlimited 3G data plan. Unfortunately, T-Mobile still has 2G in my area, while Sprint and Verizon already have 4G here. If T-Mobile could bring at least 3G here in the near future, it would mean a definite switch for me.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
tempting.. t-mobile and verizon both have 4g in my area and some april if sprint doesn't have 4g in my area it is time to switch carriers, i was promised by a rep my area would have 4g in a few months over a year ago, this move might get t-mobile a customer

Tal Greywolf

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
I've been with T-Mobile for over 9 years now. Never had a problem, never had an issue with calls or connectivity, don't use texting, email or web browsing so I can't speak to their reliability. But for what I use it for, it's fine. $39/mo for 1000 anytime minutes, plus the usual weekends free... no other carrier could touch that level of usage for that low a price.

Personally, I'd rather stay with T-Mobile than anyone else. They've always been rock steady no matter where I've traveled to.

rickarino

Dec 31, 2001
@DookieDraws I've been with PagePlus for 3 years now. Great prepaid on Verizon network. It's a win-win and I highly recommend it.

[citation][nom]rickarino[/nom]@DookieDraws I've been with PagePlus for 3 years now. Great prepaid on Verizon network. It's a win-win and I highly recommend it.[/citation]

Certainly considering it. Seems they have very little phones to choose from, though. There site has only 4 phones!

Thanks for your info, bro.

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
I have been with T-Mobile for a good while now, I'm on a plan where 2 family members have Unlimited talk, text, and data and 3 family members have unlimited text with about 200-300 minutes of talk for about $100 a month.

Again, I've been with T-Mobile for I think 10 years now? Great service and great customer support, definitely worth it and welcome the change(but I never do 2 year contracts as I buy all my phones new and unlock them).

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I like what they're doing. It would be nice if they introduced pay-as-you-go smartphone data plans as well.

So far, I've found their coverage to be good enough, and so I'll be sticking with them. (galaxy nexus on $30 5GB 100min prepaid plan)

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
T-Mobile has allowed customers to buy phones outright and sign up for service for a while now. I did that with my last phone back in 2011 and it's been a relief. No need to worry about my rates getting jacked up, no device to pay off, and if I want a new phone or a new carrier at any time, it's all me. It's a highly enviable position to be in, even if I've been with them for 12+ years and I'm not showing signs of straying at any point.

Status
Not open for further replies.