News Report: The PS5’s DualSense Controller Drift Issues Will Only Get Worse

dalek1234

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
My PS4 controller developed this drift after about 6 months of use. I doubt I did 2 million cycles though, but I was playing a game that made me push the analog stick harder than it need to be. I got a replacement, and have been using it for over three years now with no problems. I did change my playing habit though: "don't push that joystick so hard, it won't make the character run any faster". So it would seem that you can get the joistick to fail much quicker than after 2 million uses if you push its limits harder.

Quite disappointing, I must say, that Sony used the same type of fail-prone joystick in PS5 controller. You'd think they would have learned a lesson from the PS4 joistuck failures. Most likely they were trying to save a few pennies by sticking with the cheaper joystick. ...."Facepalm"

It is all due to bean counters prevailing over engineers. In result we have flaky potentiometers with thin plastic around. And broken controllers due to dislodged sticks after few months in result.

D

Deleted member 14196

This is just another reason that I don’t like Sony hardware or peripherals

Plus the PlayStation five looks god awful. The people responsible for the styling should be shot

Plus the PlayStation five looks god awful. The people responsible for the styling should be shot

This articles title seems a bit of a witch-hunt. It does say in the body of the article that the mechanism is the same used for Nintendo and many Microsoft controllers so this isn’t a Sony problem so why only call out the PS5? Click bait?

A question that should be asked is why don’t they use hall sensors instead of a design based on potentiometera. They are all effectively building controllers that by design will need replacing several times in the lifetime of the average console and gamer. It seems by design they are deliberately choosing a design that won’t last, obviously to make more money on accessories while creating more waste.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020

Really?!

You do realize that the XBOX One had controller drift issues as well. I lost a controller to that. Nintendo was faced with a class action lawsuit over drifting analog sticks on the Nintendo Switch Joycons and also the Nintendo Pro controller. And according to some Reddit reports the Xbox series X controller looks to have similar drift issues.

D

Deleted member 14196

I have never had an Xbox controller go bad ever. Well I had one go bad because I kept dropping it on the hardwood floor

Reactions: Phaaze88

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I have never had an Xbox controller go bad ever. Well I had one go bad because I kept dropping it on the hardwood floor
And I have never had a PS4 controller go bad with a drifting problem. I own 2 PS4's and 2 Xbox One's. I also have not had a controller issue with Nintendo Switch Joy Cons or their Switch Pro controller.

Just because you or I haven't had these problems on the respective systems doesn't mean they don't exist. The bottom line is "ALL" last gen controllers and both next gen controllers appear to be having drifting problems again.

D

Deleted member 14196

I have had several PlayStation 4 controllers go bad and my son has had several of his Nintendo switch controllers drift and let me tell you we are both very disappointed

These companies piss me off because they’re charging premiums for this garbage as mentioned above and that’s what it is cheap garbage sold it exorbitant prices and that’s what pisses me off

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I have had several PlayStation 4 controllers go bad and my son has had several of his Nintendo switch controllers drift and let me tell you we are both very disappointed

These companies piss me off because they’re charging premiums for this garbage as mentioned above and that’s what it is cheap garbage sold it exorbitant prices and that’s what pisses me off
I believe you. The point is that last gen and current gen controllers from Sony and Microsoft appear to be having this problem again. Some users do and some don't but the problem is real. That said unless the company is facing a class action lawsuit such as Nintendo, they'll be glad for you to buy another controller. Hopefully one of theirs.

At least Nintendo now says their Joy Cons and Switch Pro controllers have been given an unlimited warranty. They will replace any controller that has a drifting issue.

D

Deleted member 14196

Yes my son has to get a pro controller because the other controllers are crappy and keep drifting. And even if they do repair them how long until they drift again?

This articles title seems a bit of a witch-hunt. It does say in the body of the article that the mechanism is the same used for Nintendo and many Microsoft controllers so this isn’t a Sony problem so why only call out the PS5? Click bait?

A question that should be asked is why don’t they use hall sensors instead of a design based on potentiometera. They are all effectively building controllers that by design will need replacing several times in the lifetime of the average console and gamer. It seems by design they are deliberately choosing a design that won’t last, obviously to make more money on accessories while creating more waste.

It does not cancel the fact that PS5 controllers are failing. Agree about hall sensors which lack some of the worst potentiometer drawbacks. Though hall sensor readings will drift if circuit components behind them have noticeable temperature caused parameter drift (seems not the case here). And no hall sensor can fix that butter where they are mounted. Can confirm that from several years with racing/freestyle quadcopter flying experience :)

And no hall sensor can fix that butter where they are mounted. Can confirm that from several years with racing/freestyle quadcopter flying experience :)

Absolutely agree, they need to consider more than just the sensor but the iFixIt video being referenced in the article focuses on only the sensor being used and it’s limitations.

I’ve been flying model aircraft for 32 years across fixed wing, helicopters, drones and even a few autogyos in there :ROFLMAO:. This is where I first found the limitations of potentiometers, I’ve stripped down a few and cleaned them many years ago.