Report: Touchscreens to Become a Standard Specification for 3rd Generation Intel Ultrabooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan
Fingerprint smudges become standard on your $1200 laptop. Yay.

I personally prefer a smudge-free screens to the maximum extent possible. Not to mention how much of an ergonomic hazard touch screens on laptops/desktops will likely be unless the devices are convertible tablets.

n1tr0

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
We bought one touch screen laptop in the past year with Windows 8. The touch portion along with the start screen were used 2-3 times and then it was back to using the notebook the traditional way, except with a whole lot more clicking to get things done. Intel doesn't need to require touch screens, Microsoft needs to add a start button and desktop-default mode !

twelve25

Distinguished
If Intel is going to limit the options for an "Intel Approved" Ultrabook, I am sure we will see plenty of non-Ultrabook Ultrabooks. As in, Lenovo can make a slim, SSD non-touch ultrabook and just call it a slim laptop.

gnodeb

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
No reason to protest. It's not like they replaced mouse with touch, they just added it. I don't think that will increase price eider. Maybe they want to be sure that if you pay ultra price, you can play "fruit ninja" the way it was meant to be played.

InvalidError

Titan

The problem with making an Ultra non-Ultra Ultrabook is the manufacturer does not get any of Intel's R&D/marketing subsidy.

I appreciate how Intel tries to push the market in new directions but trying to force-feed touch-screens on laptops/ultrabooks simply seems plain wrong. If I wanted a touchable x86, the Surface Pro makes more sense to me: with the Surface, the keyboard is optional while with the Ultrabook, you already have a more ergonomic keyboard+trackpad/trackpoint attached to your touch-screen which makes the touch-screen redundant, unlikely to get much use besides backup/secondary input method.

boon4376

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
I like how the only reason you need a touch screen is the Windows 8 start screen... Which I spend 90% of the time bypassing because it's useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.