Report: What to Expect From Intel 9-Series Chipsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero2dash

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
I ran 3 22" on Z77X-UD3H while my PSU was being RMA'd (since at that time I couldn't use my 560Ti's); not sure why this is a "selling point" when it was already possible?

SirKnobsworth

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
Looks like the IO configuration on the H97 and Z97 is going to be the same as their predecessors - 6 USB 3, 6 SATA 3, 8 PCIe 2 with 18 ports total. I guess X99 adds 4 SATA ports but no word on how that interacts with FlexIO.I'm curious as to what M.2 has to do with the chipset though - isn't it just a socket which hosts otherwise standard connections? What prevents routing 4 PCIe lanes to an M.2 socket if they're not otherwise occupied?

lp231

Splendid
Saying the H97 can only install 1x PCIe x16 slot is incorrect, because on the H87, it also says the same thing, but there are motherboards running on H87 chipset and it has 2 physical PCIe x16 slots. They're not both wired to run at x16. One is at x16 and the other is at x4. http://online.bs/2013/06/27/intel-z87-motherboard-review-with-haswell-gigabyte-msi-asrock-and-asus/

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Why waste the time even coming out with the 9-Series mobos if there's almost nothing truly new or beneficial. I am NOT impressed at all and neither are most others - the 9-Series isn't even enough of a performance increase to get anybody I know with a 2600 to upgrade. Intel, get back to us when you have something serious to offer with real performance increases. It just seems like little has changed in like the last 5 years.

SirKnobsworth

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
lp231: Usually the second slot on H87 (and some Z87) boards is actually PCIe 2.0 from the chipset rather than 3.0 lanes from the processor. Can you find any spec sheets which specifically say otherwise?

lp231

Splendid

They might have done so, if AMD was still being competitive in the desktop segment. But seeing AMD has some what move their focus more on APUs, Intel doesn't see the need to release something with serious performance increase.
If it wasn't for those Radeon graphic cards, I doubt AMD will survive this long just by selling on APUs, as Intel can just lower the price of their CPUs, and that will be the end for AMD.

Intel seems to only have to add slight improvements each CPU gen since there is still no real competition. AMD is getting close though. I find myself waiting longer and longer to upgrade the base architecture on most of my machines until they make some real improvements. I guess this is a win-win situation as it saves me some coin.There are probably significant technological achievements made with each gen that consumers never even realize, but the bottom line is does it improve my performance enough to warrant an upgrade? This is another gen where it seems it won't.It's hard to get excited about something like that.

keyrock

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
It seems like my faithful 2500k will ride on for one more year until Broadwell and hopefully DDR4.
Broadwell for mainstream processors won't happen until SkyLake, which will likely be 2016.

2016 is probably the year for most of us to upgrade then. Save your $$$!

keyrock

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Intel seems to only have to add slight improvements each CPU gen since there is still no real competition. AMD is getting close though. I find myself waiting longer and longer to upgrade the base architecture on most of my machines until they make some real improvements. I guess this is a win-win situation as it saves me some coin.There are probably significant technological achievements made with each gen that consumers never even realize, but the bottom line is does it improve my performance enough to warrant an upgrade? This is another gen where it seems it won't.It's hard to get excited about something like that.
How exactly is AMD "getting close"? AMD is putting up a fight in the lower power variants, but that's mosttly due to the GPU half of their APUs being superior, though Iris Pro has narrowed that gap considerably. In the mid to high-en desktop chips the gap has continued to widen. So much so that Intel can afford to sit on their hands and concentrate on pushing into mobile. Vischera chips need to run above 5 GHz to even come close to competing with i5s, never mind i7s, in the majority of real world applications, and they do so while drinking considerably more power. AMD isn't even putting out a Kaveri FX chip because they know they simply cannot compete with Intel in that area until, at the very least, the Bulldozer based architecture has run its course and they put out something completely new.

Processors like the 8350 seem to be closing the gap especially when it comes to multi-threaded gaming performance.

You are right though. Intel doesn't have much to worry about. This is why they seem to be only releasing new processors with extreme hype yet minimal performance improvements each time.

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Why waste the time even coming out with the 9-Series mobos if there's almost nothing truly new or beneficial. I am NOT impressed at all and neither are most others - the 9-Series isn't even enough of a performance increase to get anybody I know with a 2600 to upgrade. Intel, get back to us when you have something serious to offer with real performance increases. It just seems like little has changed in like the last 5 years.
Keep in mind these chipsets are centered around business solutions and mainstream consumer use. The number of motherboards sold worldwide for commercial/mainstream use EXTREMELY outweighs gaming PC sales.

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
DDR4 isn't chipset bound, At this point its the CPU that has the memory controller. I'm sure all these chipsets will support DDR4 if the CPU has support and the Motherboard has the sockets. We will have to wait for the intel 5770k >_> for DDR4 I guess

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED

at this point intel is competing with its old processors and losing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS