Report: Windows 8.1 Finally Surpasses Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
Last articale like this had Windows XP at aroudn 50% of market share so i am glad that businesses decided to upgrade in mass as i am assuming that they are the bulk of what makes it up. personily i am trying to decide wether to wait for windows 10 or go now with windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit DSP ... either way i am going to end up with windows 10 in a year i hope

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010

no it is more of saying the 2014 ford cars surpassed the year 2000~2001 ford cars

trevor_dennis

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Just wondering why the various Windows versions are treated as separate entities, whereas all the OSX versions (Yellow Pebble, Baby Kitten, Slightly Rebellious) are rolled into one?

"What's surprising is that there are still some consumers and businesses across the globe and locally running Windows Vista. Here in the United States, the numbers have dropped ever so slowly, with a 7.49 percent share in November 2013, a 3.52 percent share in October 2014 and the current 4.11 percent share. For being one of the most disliked operating systems to date, Windows Vista shows that it still has some staying power."

When you own a Windows Vista machine and then see all vendors simultaneously pull all copies of Windows 7 off the shelf, can you blame the desktop user for not buying a tablet OS? Give them another desktop option and watch the Vista/XP numbers fall off the chart.

Well yeah they had to go up in the number Microsoft isn't supporting XP anymore those users where forced out and since windows 7 isn't being sold on oem computers its a no brainer folks are forced to use win 8 or 8.1 ..

You should be able to run all your programs on windows 7 alone seems like a waste of hard drive space but even tho win vista SP2 Is more less windows 7 anyhow...

I still have a machine running Vista and so does a relative, but it's only because the machines are older and not worth putting money into and there isn't money to replace them. I currently have 2x Windows 7 machines, 1x Vista and 1x XP. The Vista and XP machines will be retired with those OS's.

I know there are some very large companies that are still in the process of moving from XP to Windows 7 as it will be to costly to train over 100k employees nationwide to use Windows 8/8.1. (the company i have first hand knowledge is at about 75% deployment of Windows 7, I imagine other very large companies are in a similar position)

I doubt Windows 8/8.1 will ever surpass Windows 7, 10 maybe, but not 8/8.1. Just like Vista never surpassed XP, even today.

Billzegun1

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

no it is more of saying the 2014 ford cars surpassed the year 2000~2001 ford cars

No, its more like saying the 2014 ford cars surpassed Lamborghini's, because windows 8/8.1 sucked in my opinion (just an opinion), and Xp was Bloody good

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

No, its more like saying the 2014 ford cars surpassed Lamborghini's, because windows 8/8.1 sucked in my opinion (just an opinion), and Xp was Bloody good

XP was pretty bad for the first 2 or so years, crashing just a little less than ME. Vista's problems were mostly drivers and bad hw, otherwise it was decent (although dialog-heavy). Other than W7 or 8, 2000 (not ME) gave me the least to worry about.

Of course companies are still using Vista; after all they hell they went through getting all their infrastructure/software/drivers working with it, you think they want to spend the expense on another OS upgrade? Business is ALWAYS going to lag. Heck, we're still on XP.

mariusmotea

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
O lot of windows XP PCs are broken every day, because these are +10 years old. New computers comes with windows 8.1 preinstalled, so this si the success of windows 8.x. People cannot choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.