REPOST: Problems I can't evaluate myself! FPS drops, possible RAM and GFX card problem.

ThatGuySmyth

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
PLEASE NOTe: This is a repost because I didn't manage to solve it before!
Hello everyone,

I recently installed a new graphics card into my computer and its is the 7870 XFX 2gb GHz edition. On the whole it runs games great and its average framerate is exactly what I expected it to be. However I have a problem where I get these enormous framerate drops to literally 1 or 2 fps for under a second. In a high speed shooter of course this is very frustrating, and when I'm playing good looking games like skyrim it really dampens the atmousphere.

My specs:

intel i7 2700k 3.5GHz
7870 XFX 2GB
8GB corsair RAM
600W Corsair PSU
Samsung 7200rpm 500GB hard drive

When I play minecraft, (I don't play it often i play it more just to benchmark and see how my computer is performing), I get framedrops up to every 10 seconds. Also on a regular basis, like 1 in 5 times it will run out of memory and crash.

Yesterday when playing the new 'Warface' I got a blue screen of death which obviously is annoying.

Here is a picture of the graphics specifications.

My assumption is that there is a problem with the RAM, not accessing memory or potentially mechanically broken. Or a problem with the graphics card which also is not accessing all of its memory.

UPDATE:: I have also just been testing on far cry 3, and when I have framedrops its coinciding with the GPU usage. The usage will drop down to around 60% maybe even lower, and thats when the drops are. So it means that my graphics card stops working to its full potential, causing the drops.

Thanks for any help in advance.

ThatGuySmyth

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

it goes between 80-90 degrees when playing far cry 3. What other games should I test?

well its high ..try furmark and also check your cpu temps at load....and what is your mobo ?? You have to check your motherboard CPU power support.For example if your Motherboard supports only 80w processors then your 95w processor wont work good and you will get fps drops in all games when the CPU starts working full power and if you have overclock your processor then make the clock speed default and try also install an aftermarket cooler for overclocking if you are using a stock cooler....

ThatGuySmyth

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

I have not overclocked anything on my computer. I have the gigabyte Z68 chipset. CPU temps are nearly the same, but will push up to 90 degrees sometimes.

ThatGuySmyth

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

whats an aftermarket CPU, and also should i clean my computer out?

ThatGuySmyth

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

I dont feel so confident about doing all of that stuff =/... Where can I buy thermal paste and also where in EUROPE can i buy a fan and stuff..

Thanks bro

ThatGuySmyth

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

I just realised I had my power supply the wrong way round, so I turned it upside down and temps are a little lower. Still hasnt stopped the framedrops however, temps are about 80 degrees at load now.