Question Reproducible Event ID 41 restart crash after finishing new build

Aug 10, 2019
Hey folks, I posted a similar thread about this to reddit with no results. It is now a week later and I have replaced my GPU to an AORUS RTX 2070 and the PSU to a Corsair TX750M. Issue was gone for a few days but is now back, any help is welcome. Anyways, here's the reddit post and a copy paste with few modifications follows:

The backstory: I just recently upgraded my GPU to an ASUS OC RTX 2070 and my PSU to a Deepcool DQ750ST. Everything is fine for the first days. A couple days later, I start getting restart crashes without any BSODs or other error codes other than the kernel power Event ID 41. However, unlike any other thread I've seen on reddit or any other post on tech support websites, I am able to consistently reproduce it. This was a week ago. I have since returned both the PSU and the GPU but the issue still stands with new card and PSU as pointed out above.

The build specs:
CPU: Intel i7-6800k w/ CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo cooler
GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 DUAL-RTX2070-A8G 8GB AORUS RTX 2070 (previously ASUS DirectCU2 Radeon HD7970)
PSU: Deepcool DQ750ST 750 W PSU Corsair TX750M 750W PSU (previously Corsair CX600 600W PSU)
Case: CM Storm Stryker
RAM: TForce DDR4 2x8GB
MB: MSI X99A SLI PLUS
Drives: 2x240gb SSD, 1x120gb SSD, 1 TB HDD, 2 TB HDD
Let me know if I've missed anything else of importance

The issue: As I said before, it is reproducible. Essentially, after turning on my computer myself, it will crash within about 10-15 minutes no matter what I'm doing, just browsing the internet, launching a game or even just stepped away from the computer for a little of being in a game, it no longer occurs when the PC is idle. As I said before, it is a restart crash, no BSOD or anything, screen simply goes black and the computer restarts. After this happens, I can use the PC without any problems whatsoever and for however long I want. I have regularly used it for 6+ hours after the initial crash with no issues, however it will always crash 10-15 minutes after I turn it on myself.
I have scoured the event viewer and cannot find anything other than the aforementioned Event ID 41 Kernel power critical error. My temperatures are normal, around 30-35 C for all components idle, GPU reaches about 45 C by the time the crash happens.

What I've Tried: Plugging into a different wall outlet (on a different fuse/breaker). Plugging directly into the wall as opposed to a power strip. Lowering the GPU clock in GPU Tweak/MSI Afterburner. Every change so far has not affected the crash. Edit: I've also just tried restarting through the windows power menu and the crash has not reoccurred which further leads me to believe it's a power button issue. Any thoughts on how I could fix a power button issue would be greatly appreciated. I am no longer considering it to be a power button issue. I have replaced the GPU, everything was fine for the first day of install, afterwards it began happening again. I have replaced the PSU as well, before replacing the GPU. I have used DDU to uninstall my previous AMD drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled my geforce drivers. As well, I read that someone was having the issue caused by the nvidia sound driver clashing with their motherboard sound driver, I disabled the nvidia driver and no dice.

My thoughts: I'm not really sure what it could be, especially after getting 2 replacement parts and nothing has changed. After 2 weeks of troubleshooting I am getting really worried it might be something big, such as the motherboard or something, which I definitely cannot afford to replace as well as would be terribly angry about having to replace it seeing as I only got the new board 2 years ago. Any and all help is greatly appreciated, I'm hoping this post can help future people in my position as well, I have not been able to find anything similar on the web.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Can you confirm if the issue still occurs in safe mode?

• It may be worth removing any and all overclock / XMP by resetting BIOS to defaults to confirm.
  • Why are you no longer considering it to be a power button issue exactly? Have you tried removing the front panel from your MB entirely?
  • Random reboots once GPU and PSU have been eliminated, can often be RAM related. It may be worth running memtest for at least 4 passes to check for obvious abnormalities.
  • do you have latest BIOS installed?

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Aug 10, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Can you confirm if the issue still occurs in safe mode?

• It may be worth removing any and all overclock / XMP by resetting BIOS to defaults to confirm.
  • Why are you no longer considering it to be a power button issue exactly? Have you tried removing the front panel from your MB entirely?
  • Random reboots once GPU and PSU have been eliminated, can often be RAM related. It may be worth running memtest for at least 4 passes to check for obvious abnormalities.
  • do you have latest BIOS installed?

Hey there,

The issue does not occur when idling/performing basic computer operations in safe mode, other than that I'm not sure how I would be able to launch a game to test if it crashes in safe mode.

I've just run memtest for 4 passes and it has come back with no errors. I've seen RAM come up as a possible cause in a number of threads, however I didn't think it would apply to me since my PC only crashes once, and then is fine for the rest of the session after the restart.

- On the topic of overclock, I haven't overclocked anything in my system, though the new card does come factory overclocked I believe? Unless this new "boost clock" isn't the same as a factory overclocking? I'm not familiar with the RTX generation. Anyways, resetting BIOS to defaults is something I can definitely do, I'll give it a shot next

- I'm no longer considering it to be a power button issue since the issue continues to happen when using the power button located on my motherboard itself instead of the case power button. I can't recall if I did this test with the front panel unplugged however.

- I'm fairly certain I have the latest BIOS installed, however motherboard stuff is definitely my weak spot as I have always been scared to mess with them software-wise, so I'm not really sure how I would check that as well as how I would update it.

Out of curiosity, I've been testing this pretty rigorously, does anyone know if any parts are at risk of being damaged when constantly forcing this crash? I'm hoping not but I'm not sure

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The issue does not occur when idling/performing basic computer operations in safe mode, other than that I'm not sure how I would be able to launch a game to test if it crashes in safe mode.
Just to clarify, you said when not in safe mode, it will always crash after 10/15 minutes? But this doesn't occur in safe mode?

- I'm no longer considering it to be a power button issue since the issue continues to happen when using the power button located on my motherboard itself instead of the case power button. I can't recall if I did this test with the front panel unplugged however.
If it is a faulty front panel (which isn't unheard of) it will cause problems as long as it is plugged in. If say it is causing a short, it will just simply cause it whilst it's running, regardless as to how the PC was powered on.

- I'm fairly certain I have the latest BIOS installed, however motherboard stuff is definitely my weak spot as I have always been scared to mess with them software-wise, so I'm not really sure how I would check that as well as how I would update it.
You can check this either in your BIOS or through System Information from the start meny.

Aug 10, 2019
Just to clarify, you said when not in safe mode, it will always crash after 10/15 minutes? But this doesn't occur in safe mode?

Sorry, the crashes no longer occur when idle regardless of safe mode or not, they are now only occuring after 10/15 minutes of being in a game, I realize my post isn't very clear at that part with the strikethroughs. As to when they stopped happening when idle, I don't really have an answer, it simply stopped happening after the first few days, but before I replaced the ASUS 2070 GPU and Deepcool PSU.

If it is a faulty front panel (which isn't unheard of) it will cause problems as long as it is plugged in. If say it is causing a short, it will just simply cause it whilst it's running, regardless as to how the PC was powered on.

I've just recalled that I definitely had the entire front panel disconnected during the tests with the motherboard power button.

I've just checked my BIOS version and it does appear that I'm a version behind.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Sorry, the crashes no longer occur when idle regardless of safe mode or not, they are now only occuring after 10/15 minutes of being in a game, I realize my post isn't very clear at that part with the strikethroughs.
No worries my friend. It may be worth at some later point using Prime95 in a bootable form to stress the CPU and see if the issue can be repeated outside of windows.

I would usually say it is worth updating your BIOS, but if you are encountering restarts, there's no guarantee this won't happen during the BIOS update.

It may be worth running with only 1 RAM module for a period of time, memtest is pretty good, but it's not guaranteed.

You mention your temperatures idle, what about individual CPU core temperatures under load?
Also have you checked that this is no damage to the CPU/Socket?

I'd say you've pretty comfortably eradicated the front panel and the PSU being at fault as you have replaced all to no avail.

Aug 10, 2019
It may be worth removing any and all overclock / XMP by resetting BIOS to defaults to confirm.

So I reset all BIOS settings to default last night, and the issue did not reoccur, however I was skeptical and sure enough when I went to test it again this morning, the crash returned.

I think I've noticed that the GPU fans seem to spin up loudly after the crash, however I'm thinking that that is probably just a side effect of the startup process after the crash.

You mention your temperatures idle, what about individual CPU core temperatures under load?
Also have you checked that this is no damage to the CPU/Socket?

I installed this CPU with the cooler about 2 years ago and I made sure that the socket, pins, etc were all in good condition before the install. I did not have this issue or really any issues after the installation until now so I'm led to believe that they are in good condition. CPU temps under load get to around a maximum of 52-53 and the cores do not really vary much in temperature save for a couple of degrees.

It may be worth running with only 1 RAM module for a period of time, memtest is pretty good, but it's not guaranteed.

Yeah I think I'll be giving this a shot next time I get around to testing things, I am busy for the rest of today as it stands.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Aug 10, 2019
An update: The issue still occurs with one RAM stick, I've tried both RAM sticks individually and the issue seems to continue to occur. Before the last crash, I decided to generate a HWINFO64 log to hopefully identify a problem however I cannot find any abnormalities besides the sudden drop in % usage at the last entry which i'm assuming occurs during the crash.

Here's a link to the logs, the crash occurs at the last line of the logs.

Edit: This may be something noteworthy - the crash has just occured while I was logging into Windows, I hadn't even finished typing my password before the computer simply reset itself.

Last edited:

flandy

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
So, I have this EXACT same thing happening in the same time-frame. This only started for me about a week ago. I have had no crashes outside of games, I can't replicate it at all with say furmark or prime95, memtests are clean. I can play Rocket League on lowest settings seemingly indefinitely but anything else I've tested produces a crash about 10-15mins in.

The lowered settings makes me think it's still GPU related, since I bought a new PSU and have the same issue. I'm debating at this point buying a new card, seeing what happens, and if that doesn't work at least I have the base for a new system lol.

Oct 28, 2019
Same issue here as well (consistent PC hang / freeze / crash / reboot only when playing games and only when playing soon after boot). Been lurking the internet the past few months to find other users and finally found you guys. For me, I'm sure it would happen after boot sitting idle for 20 minutes and then playing, but really if the game doesn't crash within 5-15 minutes of play, it will continue to work just fine. The most frustrating part of these "issues" is that there are no useful logs generating in event viewer to help diagnose.

At this point, I'm with flandy and believe this to be a GPU driver issue (GTX 980) with Windows 10 -already DDU and installed latest drivers and the hang / freeze / crash / reboot is slightly more consistent. For those of you before me, if you have onboard video, you can try removing the GPU completely and see if the problem goes away. Good luck.