Question Repurpose old NAS into docking station

Sep 19, 2021
I have seen plenty of videos on how to convert an old pc into a NAS. But I sort of want to do the opposite (well almost).. That is I want to repurpose an old 5-bay NAS into a no brains docking station. The two old NAS systems I have are long past there manufacturers support life and not compatible with windows 8 or 10 anymore. Seeing as they have most of the physical traits a 5 -bay docking station has I thought I might ask the question.

One NAS is the Buffalo TeraStation III the other is a cheap 2 Bay thing I can't even remember the name of.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
What do you want this "docking station" to do?
The brain (linux based OS) of either will probably want to format whatever new drive you put in it.

A USB - SATA dock for $25 will accept whatever drive you plug into it.

Sep 19, 2021
I have a windows microserver but wanted to attach more hard drives. I essentially don't want the nas to do anything anymore except be recognized in windows as an extra 5 HDDs the original NAS processor wouldn't do a thing anymore.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
I have a windows microserver but wanted to attach more hard drives. I essentially don't want the nas to do anything anymore except be recognized in windows as an extra 5 HDDs the original NAS processor wouldn't do a thing anymore.
Given an actual Terastation, I can't see that happening.

The board and OS will take over, and do what it was built to do.

ASK THE COMMUNITY