Question REQ: Advice on mirroring my laptop to a larger screen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Alex@TH

Commendable
Jan 12, 2020
Hi all 🙂

I have a 17 inch Windows laptop that's primarily used to watch streaming and local video.

I'd like to mirror (via hdmi? via casting? - whichever makes more sense or provides a better image quality) to a larger screen, 30in or above (there isn't a tv nearby in case chromecast were a suggestion).

The laptop sits on a mobile stand...

pR01q9n.jpg

...and I'm wondering if a contraption exists to prop up the monitor above the laptop so everything's in the same vicinity?

What about closing the laptop lid and just placing a monitor on top of the laptop's flat surface? I'm not aware if it's possible to keep the laptop still running instead of going into sleep or shutting down when the laptop is closed shut. And having to remove the monitor every time I want to access the laptop would be an inconvenience.

And does it even have to be a computer monitor when a larger and less expensive TV (again, hoping to keep everything in the same area, above the laptop) could serve this purpose?

So if anyone's aware of an effective method and/or type of product to make this desired setup happen, your feedback would be greatly appreciated!