Question REQ: Advice on mirroring my laptop to a larger screen

Alex@TH

Commendable
Jan 12, 2020
Hi all 🙂

I have a 17 inch Windows laptop that's primarily used to watch streaming and local video.

I'd like to mirror (via hdmi? via casting? - whichever makes more sense or provides a better image quality) to a larger screen, 30in or above (there isn't a tv nearby in case chromecast were a suggestion).

The laptop sits on a mobile stand...

pR01q9n.jpg

...and I'm wondering if a contraption exists to prop up the monitor above the laptop so everything's in the same vicinity?

What about closing the laptop lid and just placing a monitor on top of the laptop's flat surface? I'm not aware if it's possible to keep the laptop still running instead of going into sleep or shutting down when the laptop is closed shut. And having to remove the monitor every time I want to access the laptop would be an inconvenience.

And does it even have to be a computer monitor when a larger and less expensive TV (again, hoping to keep everything in the same area, above the laptop) could serve this purpose?

So if anyone's aware of an effective method and/or type of product to make this desired setup happen, your feedback would be greatly appreciated!

There's a lot to unpack here.

1. Yes, windows power options can be configured so the laptop doesn't go to sleep when the laptop lid is closed.
  2. Do NOT set a monitor on top of a laptop. They're not made to handle that weight.
  3. Assume that you'll have to slightly open the laptop in order to gain access to the power button. There may be other ways depending on your specific machine, but they're not guaranteed. There are more options if you put the PC to sleep instead of shutting down.
  4. Not sure what you're asking about with the TV/Monitor mounting. Are you just looking for a monitor arm (Like this ) to mount it to the portable stand?

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex@TH

Alex@TH

Commendable
Jan 12, 2020
Hi tennis2 🙂

Thanks for the helpful feedback!

There's a lot to unpack here.

1. Yes, windows power options can be configured so the laptop doesn't go to sleep when the laptop lid is closed.
  2. Do NOT set a monitor on top of a laptop. They're not made to handle that weight.
  3. Assume that you'll have to slightly open the laptop in order to gain access to the power button. There may be other ways depending on your specific machine, but they're not guaranteed. There are more options if you put the PC to sleep instead of shutting down.
Got it.

1. Not sure what you're asking about with the TV/Monitor mounting. Are you just looking for a monitor arm (Like this ) to mount it to the portable stand?

Ah, and a search term was born; "monitor arm" it is. Yes, that's precisely what I was looking to do.👌

So if I go the monitor route, I'll use the arm...wondering still if getting a more affordable, even larger TV would also work for the 'best way to mirror my laptop to a larger screen' endeavor?

Can you or anyone help me understand any advantage to using a monitor over a tv or vice versa?

Would a monitor have a better viewing experience in terms of image quality/stability?​
Does an accessory similar to the arm exist for a tv to display above the laptop?​

Click the link I gave.
Doesn't matter if it's a TV or monitor for the monitor arm. VESA mounts are universal, you just need to make sure that whichever display you choose actually has VESA mounts (4 screw holes in a square pattern on the back)

TVs will generally have better (relative) speakers than monitors. Some monitors don't even have built in speakers. Also, TVs have tuners for over the air TV channels (antenna) or whatnot. Monitors have better (lower) input lag for gaming, and you can get an IPS monitor that has very good viewing angles, whereas most TVs use TN or VA panels with more color shift (depends on your budget). Monitors also generally have higher refresh rates these days (when a TV advertises 120Hz, that's not always the truth, long story)

In a nutshell, the hardware required (tuner, speakers, inputs/outputs) to watch TV channels costs money, so for the same price (at lower panel sizes) a monitor will give you a better quality panel.

What are you using this for?

Alex@TH

Commendable
Jan 12, 2020
Click the link I gave.
Doesn't matter if it's a TV or monitor for the monitor arm. VESA mounts are universal, you just need to make sure that whichever display you choose actually has VESA mounts (4 screw holes in a square pattern on the back)

Oh! Got it...

TVs will generally have better (relative) speakers than monitors. Some monitors don't even have built in speakers. Also, TVs have tuners for over the air TV channels (antenna) or whatnot. Monitors have better (lower) input lag for gaming, and you can get an IPS monitor that has very good viewing angles, whereas most TVs use TN or VA panels with more color shift (depends on your budget). Monitors also generally have higher refresh rates these days (when a TV advertises 120Hz, that's not always the truth, long story)

In a nutshell, the hardware required (tuner, speakers, inputs/outputs) to watch TV channels costs money, so for the same price (at lower panel sizes) a monitor will give you a better quality panel.

Understood; super-helpful. 😉

(Indeed, I've gone down the rabbit hole of 'native 120hz refresh rate' vs the various misleading "TruMotion", "Clear Motion", "Motion Rate", etc effective refresh rate marketing speak 🙃)

I'm not into gaming but would be using this setup to watch live sports, so the refresh rate will be something to keep in mind.

What are you using this for?

...I have a 17 inch Windows laptop that's primarily used to watch streaming and local video.

In general, biggest takeaway here is the info about the vesa mounts, so thanks again for that.

Alex@TH

Commendable
Jan 12, 2020
I'd like to keep it at approx $200.

So far I'm looking at these two:

amzn <dot> to/2R8BehK
amzn <dot> to/35GuIEg

(Since I've got a good amount of Amazon gift credit available, that'll be my store of choice)

I haven't been able to confirm that the monitor is compatible with "standard VESA hole patterns: 75 mm x 75 mm, 100 mm x 100 mm" yet, so that's the only thing keeping me from completing the order.

(And I'm keeping my fingers crossed it'll extend vertically high enough to allow the laptop to remain lid-open, which is approx 12 inches high including the stand surface.)

Any thoughts on either option, Tennis?

Alex@TH

Commendable
Jan 12, 2020
Thanks as always 🙂

LG 32MA68HY-P = $170

IPS

1920 x 1080

VESA mounts

HDMI, VGA, and Display Port inputs.

1) This one seems to have similar specs to the HP (2UD96AA#ABA) - have you noticed anything favoring this LG other than the slightly lower price?

2) Also there's a newer model (32MA70HY-P) with an appealing refurbished price...do you see any drawbacks to selecting this one over the 32MA68HY-P or the 2UD96AA#ABA?

LG 32ML600M-B = $250

Slightly better backlight

75Hz refresh

3) That 75Hz refresh rate would be good but this one's a bit outside of the budget.

The laptop can have it's screen/lid open behind the TV/monitor but with the laptop screen off/black.

Got it 👌

Re: Vesa mounts

So it seems that the mount I selected earlier with "standard VESA hole patterns: 75 mm x 75 mm, 100 x 100 mm" would not accommodate all of these monitors which have 200 x 100 mm hole patterns, correct?

In which case this mount would work I believe...

Something about that HP doesn't hit me right. I'd avoid.

The LG 32MA70HY looks effectively the same as the 32MA68HY model I linked. The whole new vs used....your call. $25 isn't enough to sway me.

Good catch on the 200x100 VESA. Yes, clearly the mount you linked advertises 200x100 patterns. I have that one at home.

Last edited:

Alex@TH

Commendable
Jan 12, 2020
1) Got it.

2) I'm ok with refurbished...it was just in case you noticed any specs differences (was wondering why its reviews weren't as high as its predecessor).

3) Nice

4) PS - this one also seems like a winner, wondering if you've got any thoughts in comparison with the other two LGs?

That Phillips one has a curved 75Hz VA panel. The 125% sRGB is better than the LG ~98% sRGB.

VA compared to IPS:
Strengths:
Better contrast / deeper blacks (for dark room viewing)
Faster pixel response
Less "backlight bleed"

Weaknesses:
Viewing angles aren't as good as IPS (but better than TN) so a lot of larger screens will be curved to combat this
Curved screen will make off-center viewing worse.

If you go with the Phillips, it has 100x100 VESA mounts, so that original mount with a 10" arm that I linked would be back on the table. Depends on whether you think you need/want an arm to set the panel off the post a bit, or if having it next to the post is good.

Last edited:

Alex@TH

Commendable
Jan 12, 2020
I'm going to go with the Philips 👍

But now there's some confusion on the vesa mount 🙃...here's a buyer comment:

"Q:... i tried vivo and huanuo, their vesa plate is too big, it covers the hdmi slot.

A: Unfortunately, you probably will not find one. You would need on that is for a 75mm x 75mm Vesa only, which is an uncommon size. My recommendation would to be to cut the plates off, you wont need the lower hole."

So now I don't know what to think. 😳 Granted, that comment is in reference to a different size of the same item, but could it also be the case for the 32?

Also in general, the product info says "...wall mountable (VESA compatible)" does that specificity mean it wouldn't work properly with a stand?

Btw Tennis, do I also purchase the screws separately and if so do you know which kind/size to get?

(you are a Saint for helping me with all of this)

That reviewer is clearly just sour because they didn't pay attention. 100x100 is 100x100, not 75x75. You've got nothing to worry about. (100x100 is the most common pattern by a fair margin)

I've seen different size threads in different monitors/ TVs. Most VESA mounts (including the VIVO ones we've been discussing) come with 2 sizes. If it's something else, go to your local hardware store and buy the ones you need for $0.30 EA

VIVO-US

Honorable
Feb 1, 2017
That reviewer is clearly just sour because they didn't pay attention. 100x100 is 100x100, not 75x75. You've got nothing to worry about. (100x100 is the most common pattern by a fair margin)

The reviewer was commenting on the 24" version under the same listing, which uses 75x75 VESA holes that are way too close to the ports, so a 100x100 plate like what's on our mounts would block it. We've gotten requests to make a 75x75 only mount now and then, but the problem is, only 1 or 2% of monitors at the most actually need that, so we can't justify making a mount that doesn't fit the other 98%. Instead, a cheap hacksaw to cut the excess plate off when needed will usually be enough. :)

Alex@TH

Commendable
Jan 12, 2020
Wondering if I've understood this properly... 🤔

Even though the new monitor will come with "FreeSync", it is proprietary tech that primarily works with AMD gpu's, and therefore I won't notice any improvements because my laptop uses an NVidia card (the fairly old 9 series) - is this correct?

Alex@TH

Commendable
Jan 12, 2020
Update:

1. The monitor is glorious 😀😎
  2. Mount is excellent quality
  3. Don't know why it didn't occur to me earlier that a small mobile stand intended to support a laptop would not be able to support the weight of those two items! 🤦‍♂️

Luckily the stand is still within the return window and I'll be looking for something much more sturdy and durable.