REQ Deciphering -- Samsung "true" PC2700 ?

rebar

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2002
I keep seeing the designation "true" attached to some Samsung PC2700 modules -- usually accompanied by an assurance like this: <A HREF="http://www.ocsystem.com/sam51pc33ddr.html" target="_new">"True PC2700 333MHz DDR, NOT overclocking RAM"</A> Would someone be so kind as to explain what distincton is being drawn? What's the difference, say from <A HREF="http://www.ocsystem.com/intecbysiem52.html" target="_new">this</A>, besides ECC?

TIA

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Exactly, but in the case of same, TRUE Samsung RAM means its genuinely made by Samsung, both the memory chips and the PCB. Samsung licenses its chips to other relatively no-name manufacturers. Think of it as the case with the BBA R8500 and the PBA R8500.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
It doesn't matter...it's Samsung. Buy something else...

Corsair, or Micron...heck, I'd even pick Kingston over Samsung simply because of the company. Anyone here had any experiences with OCZ? I'm curious as to wether or not they're that overclockable.

Kill a man, you're a murdered. Kill many and you're a conqueror. Kill them all, you're a GOD

Kaliman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
i'll tell you what's wrong, reliability, as i have stated in 3 other posts in this forum, the only place you should buy samsung ram from is newegg. They are the only place that lists the correct model number. All the other resellers either don't list the model number or the model number that is listed is a "customer sample" Maybe it's just me, but i like to get ram that i can trust. Corsair has a lifetime warranty, message boards that are extremely helpful, and they'll send you another one if the stick you have is not performing upto par. Now with samsung, you don't even know what people are giving you, hell it's as if the company is ashamed that it produces ram or something, i've never seen anything so hard to get. Trust me on this one though, either don't buy samsung, or if your life depends on it, buy it from newegg. and for god's sake do some research before you post here, this same question has been asked about 5 times already. All you have to do is visit samsung's site and they have a search engine which finds an exact match for the model number you input. The one you want should say "mass production" not "customer sample" obviously, unless of course you don't mind having a customer sample.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
boy, you sound a little hot and bothered by the subject. I guess you've gotten stung a few times.

AFA doing research, if you look through the memory forum the OVERWHELMING majority of posts with the string "Samsung" in the message are positive, it's the best, one of the best, etc. I actually only buy from Newegg and have been very happy with the Samsung product. I know a number of other posters feel the same way.

Just because you've made a few posts in the recent past knocking a product doesn't mean that suddenly the world has jumped on your bandwagon and is intimately familiar with your point if view. That would be just a bit narcissistic (sp?) IMHO.

But thanks for the heads up anyway. So as long as I continue to buy what I feel is a superior product from Newegg I should be OK. Good to know.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You forgot that Corsair has been using Samsung chips on its memory.
<b><A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1636&p=2" target="_new"><font color=blue>Anandtech</A></b></font color=blue>

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
There's a few more things to buying RAM than who made the chips.

CUSTOMER SUPPORT=#1
PRODUCT RELIABILITY=#2
and the list goes on after that, but those are the only two problems I've had. This model number thing you speak of...could be the source of some of my problems with their reliability...but mostly lack of support from Samsung when I was ROYALLy ripped of by a vendor [bad dimm twice...nearly impossible to get ahold of, and then got the run-around], and just wanted a working DIMM...Samsung told me Tough Titti. Not what I was expecting to hear.

I'm not really human, I just play one on TV

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I simply told that even Corsair as well as Mushkin using Samsung chips, so it couldn't be bad at all. Furthermore, mostly Samsung memories are sold as OEM so it has a little or no warranty at all (as mine has 1 year's).
I wouldn't trust OCZ as I heard they actually overclock some of their chips to higher rate (eg. PC2100 to PC2700). There are some posts a while back talking about this.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Atragon

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2002
I'm curious, how do you tell a customer sample from mass production? I've looked at the samsung spec sheet and I can't figure out what (if any) the difference is.