Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

i was wondering if thier is any adaptions of the increadibles to hero out
there?

thanks

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

In article <d1hsrg$seg$1@reader1.panix.com>,
James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>In article <LpJ_d.12077$oO4.1425@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
>Jon Smith <lonegunman94560@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>i was wondering if thier is any adaptions of the increadibles to hero out
>>there?
>>
> A little googling didn't show any.
>
> They seem pretty forward characters to adapt, with the exception
>of Jack-Jack [1].

snip

> Elastigirl has stretching, shape change (but no disguise ability
>to speak of) and DEX out the wazoo. She probably has significant martial
>arts training as well.

She has defenses, too, if I recall the scene where the plane
explodes correctly.

> Frozone has environmental control, force wall (ice), enhanced
>movement, entangles, probably a good DEX and lots and lots of levels,
>which is good because he doesn't seem to have defenses to speak of.

Actually, either he is good at getting force walls between him
and incoming attacks, Baron von Ruthless's death rays aren't that good
or Frozone has some defenses that aren't readily apparent.
--
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/
http://www.marryanamerican.ca

James Nicoll wrote:
> In article <d1hsrg$seg$1@reader1.panix.com>,
> James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> Elastigirl has stretching, shape change (but no disguise ability
>>to speak of) and DEX out the wazoo. She probably has significant martial
>>arts training as well.
>

> She has defenses, too, if I recall the scene where the plane
> explodes correctly.

That could be the suit.
Those things are tough.
If she made a ball with her head and hands tucked in she might
not _need_ to be terribly tough to start with.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 16:20:51 -0500, Ophidian <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net>
wrote:

>James Nicoll wrote:
>> In article <d1hsrg$seg$1@reader1.panix.com>,
>> James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
> >
>>> Elastigirl has stretching, shape change (but no disguise ability
>>>to speak of) and DEX out the wazoo. She probably has significant martial
>>>arts training as well.
>>

>> She has defenses, too, if I recall the scene where the plane
>> explodes correctly.
>
>That could be the suit.
>Those things are tough.
>If she made a ball with her head and hands tucked in she might
>not _need_ to be terribly tough to start with.

However, presumably she had Reed Richard's elastic resistance to
damage anyway.

David Johnston wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 16:20:51 -0500, Ophidian <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net>
> wrote:
>

>>James Nicoll wrote:

>>> She has defenses, too, if I recall the scene where the plane
>>>explodes correctly.
>>
>>That could be the suit.
>>Those things are tough.
>>If she made a ball with her head and hands tucked in she might
>>not _need_ to be terribly tough to start with.
>

> However, presumably she had Reed Richard's elastic resistance to
> damage anyway.

Likely, agreed.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

In article <H47%d.268678$0u.40075@fed1read04>,
Ophidian <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote:
>James Nicoll wrote:
>> In article <d1hsrg$seg$1@reader1.panix.com>,
>> James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
> >
>>> Elastigirl has stretching, shape change (but no disguise ability
>>>to speak of) and DEX out the wazoo. She probably has significant martial
>>>arts training as well.
>>

>> She has defenses, too, if I recall the scene where the plane
>> explodes correctly.
>
>That could be the suit.
>Those things are tough.

Bullet proof and good against temperatures up to (I forget),
yeah. She still have to pay for it as an inaccessable obvious focus.

>If she made a ball with her head and hands tucked in she might
>not _need_ to be terribly tough to start with.

Well, there is the shock wave from the explosion but maybe
most of the fireball was the airplane's gasoline igniting.

--
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/
http://www.marryanamerican.ca
http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

In article <d1hsrg$seg$1@reader1.panix.com>,
James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>In article <LpJ_d.12077$oO4.1425@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
>Jon Smith <lonegunman94560@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>i was wondering if thier is any adaptions of the increadibles to hero out
>>there?
>>
> A little googling didn't show any.
>
> They seem pretty forward characters to adapt, with the exception
>of Jack-Jack [1].
>
> Mr. I is a brick: lots of STR and DEF, a little enhanced speed.
>His ED is probably higher than his PD, because we see sharp objects make
>him bleed but none of the robot's energy attacks do more than knock him
>around and if S could have made an energy weapon to take out Mr. I, he
>would have (We also see Mr. I retreat from some physical attacks, which
>implies he's run into stuff that hurt him in the past). He's probably got
>some combat levels (or maybe just with thrown objects) but not martial
>arts as such. He doesn't seem to have much (if any) superleap beyond
>what his STR gives him.

We can get a rough idea of the range of Mr. I's PD by the
fact that he never hesitates to jump from any height (implying that
impacts at terminal velocity won't hurt him much) but he does wince
in anticipation just before the train hits him. He isn't stunned,
though. Unfortunately, while I did once know how many dice a train
does on a move-through, I can't recall how many just now.

I'd start at 40 PD, maybe a lot more. Not all of it is resistant,
though, maybe not even most of it.

--

James Nicoll wrote:
> In article <LpJ_d.12077$oO4.1425@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> Jon Smith <lonegunman94560@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>i was wondering if thier is any adaptions of the increadibles to hero out
>>there?
>>

> A little googling didn't show any.
>
> They seem pretty forward characters to adapt, with the exception
> of Jack-Jack [1].

Yeah. I'd note that Mr. I is, contrary to appearances, not a dumb
brick -- make sure you give him a decent intelligence.

Syndrome is a straight-up Gadgeteer with some SERIOUS mental problems.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Ophidian wrote:
> David Johnston wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 16:20:51 -0500, Ophidian <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net>
>> wrote:

>>> That could be the suit.
>>> Those things are tough.
>>> If she made a ball with her head and hands tucked in she might
>>> not _need_ to be terribly tough to start with.
>>

>> However, presumably she had Reed Richard's elastic resistance to
>> damage anyway.
>

> Likely, agreed.

Basically you could take the stats of the FF and use them (Mr.
Fantastic = Elastigirl, Thing = Mr. Incredible, etc) subbing
Quicksilver for Human Torch ad using Iceman for Frozone. And
remembering to adjust for experience -- Frozone, Elastigirl, and Mr.
Incredible are all very long-term veterans while Dash and Violet are
newbies.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\
Live Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/seawasp/

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:00:00 +0000 (UTC), jdnicoll@panix.com (James
Nicoll) wrotC:DRIVE_E

>1: He's a metamorph, is my guess. He can change his body in any way he
>wants, although usually this is in terms of material properties and not
>shape. It's probably better if the idea of "anti-matter" isn't explained
>to him right away.

My theory (based in large part on the short 'Jack-Jack Attack' on the
DVD) is that he is 'finding' his power, cycling through a large range
of potential abilities until one 'fits'.
Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
"I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
http://www.mrlizard.com

Lizard wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:00:00 +0000 (UTC), jdnicoll@panix.com (James
> Nicoll) wrotC:DRIVE_E
>

>>1: He's a metamorph, is my guess. He can change his body in any way he
>>wants, although usually this is in terms of material properties and not
>>shape. It's probably better if the idea of "anti-matter" isn't explained
>>to him right away.
>

> My theory (based in large part on the short 'Jack-Jack Attack' on the
> DVD) is that he is 'finding' his power, cycling through a large range
> of potential abilities until one 'fits'.

That would make nice background. The young have powers
manifest randomly until they start developing a pattern, then
they become set with a limitted but powerful and well controlled
suite of powers fitting a theme. Might help explain how
Violet manifested both Invisibility AND TK, with her pattern locking
on both. They were raised to believe they were normal (until
they obviously weren't), IIRC, right?
So they didn't start developing until later in childhood. Jak Jak
could "see" that others around him were doing odd stuff and just
puts his mind to it instinctively. Kinda like picking up the
languages you hear in childhood.

Hm, even if not a perfect fit for Incredibles, it sounds like a
nice campaign idea...

Power pool when young setting into "locked powers as mental
facilities become more trained. Possibly similar to how some of us
were likely born left handed (me!) or ambidextrous and trained out of
it back in the day.

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:00, jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:
>1: He's a metamorph, is my guess. He can change his body in any way he
>wants, although usually this is in terms of material properties and not
>shape. It's probably better if the idea of "anti-matter" isn't explained
>to him right away.

On the DVD, there's a short which shows him exhibiting even more powers,
some of which don't involve transformation. (The short is almost as good
as the whole rest of the movie, actually.)

--
chuk

Sea Wasp <seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote:

> Yeah. I'd note that Mr. I is, contrary to appearances, not a dumb
>brick -- make sure you give him a decent intelligence.

Decent Dex, too. He's not Batman, but he's not clumsy, either.
He's got great physical attributes all around, really.

> Syndrome is a straight-up Gadgeteer with some SERIOUS mental problems.

Addiction: Soliloquizing. Almost as bad as Manga Khan's addiction
to maniacal laughter.

"Sir? You're doing it again."

Pete

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

In article <d1side$1fc$1@news3.bu.edu>,
Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote:
>Sea Wasp <seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote:
>
>> Yeah. I'd note that Mr. I is, contrary to appearances, not a dumb
>>brick -- make sure you give him a decent intelligence.
>
>Decent Dex, too. He's not Batman, but he's not clumsy, either.
>He's got great physical attributes all around, really.
>
>> Syndrome is a straight-up Gadgeteer with some SERIOUS mental problems.
>
>Addiction: Soliloquizing. Almost as bad as Manga Khan's addiction
>to maniacal laughter.

I correct only to be polite: soliloquies are zero phase. Syndrome is
_monologuing_, which is at least a full phase action that drops DCV by about
half. I assume he had danger sense or Mr. I rolled an 18 on the attack with
the log.
--
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/
http://www.marryanamerican.ca
http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>In article <d1side$1fc$1@news3.bu.edu>,
>Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote:

>>Addiction: Soliloquizing. Almost as bad as Manga Khan's addiction
>>to maniacal laughter.
>>
> I correct only to be polite: soliloquies are zero phase.

You are correct, sir! Been too long since I've played Champions,
I guess. We had one guy who made a habit of minute long zero
phase soliloquies.

>Syndrome is
>_monologuing_, which is at least a full phase action that drops DCV by about
>half. I assume he had danger sense or Mr. I rolled an 18 on the attack with
>the log.

I'd go with Danger Sense, or the equivalent. Maybe 360 degree
vision based on radar or passive sonar or just Energy X.

Pete

Peter Meilinger wrote:
> Sea Wasp <seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote:
>

>> Yeah. I'd note that Mr. I is, contrary to appearances, not a dumb
>>brick -- make sure you give him a decent intelligence.
>

> Decent Dex, too. He's not Batman, but he's not clumsy, either.
> He's got great physical attributes all around, really.

Yep. And overall he's a pretty cool guy, too.

>> Syndrome is a straight-up Gadgeteer with some SERIOUS mental problems.
>

> Addiction: Soliloquizing. Almost as bad as Manga Khan's addiction
> to maniacal laughter.

Isn't that "Monologuing"? That's what they call it in the movie, anyway.

His other major problem is Low Wisdom. VERY low wisdom.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Lizard wrote:

> Yeah, but it NEVER works. Anytime you set up a menace which only you
> can defeat, it always goes sour. Always. The only person to pull off
> something remotely like that and have it work was Ozymandias.

It didn't work for him, either.

--
Dennis F. Heffernan CoH: Venture (Virtue) hefferman@comcast.net
#include <disclaim.h> MS Messenger: Venture

"And I say now these kittens, they do not get trained/As we did in the days
when Victoria reigned!" -- T.S. Eliot, "Gus, the Theatre Cat"

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:56:23 -0500, Dennis Francis Heffernan
<hefferman@comcast.net> wrote:

>Lizard wrote:
>
>> Yeah, but it NEVER works. Anytime you set up a menace which only you
>> can defeat, it always goes sour. Always. The only person to pull off
>> something remotely like that and have it work was Ozymandias.
>
> It didn't work for him, either.

It didn't? It seemed to accomplish the desired end.

David Johnston wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:56:23 -0500, Dennis Francis Heffernan
> <hefferman@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Lizard wrote:
>>

>>>Yeah, but it NEVER works. Anytime you set up a menace which only you
>>>can defeat, it always goes sour. Always. The only person to pull off
>>>something remotely like that and have it work was Ozymandias.
>>
>> It didn't work for him, either.
>
> It didn't? It seemed to accomplish the desired end.

The book ends before we know that for sure. ;(

"Dennis Francis Heffernan" <hefferman@comcast.net> wrote in message

> The book ends with a clear indication that Ozy's house of cards is about
> to come tumbling down.
>
> And just in case the character's name wasn't enough of a hint, there was
> the whole subtext with the pirate comic and the mushroom cloud graphic
> when Manhattan ports out.

Damn, I NEVER made that connection with the Pirate comic. So THAT'S what it
means... Duh.