REQ: wireless Setup help (MPS)

I am looking to add wireless capability for my laptop and/or PPC

Here is my setup now.

I have a d-link 4 port router right now coming off my cable modem.
from that it goes to 2 computers and at times the laptop in questiion

What i want to do is be able to use the laptop elsewhere in the house.

I have 2 ideas for setup. please help with which one would be best.

IDEA 1: Setup a wireless router off of the 4th output of the wired
router, and use the laptop with a PCMIA card. and PPC with it's built
in wifi

IDEA 2: Add a Wifi card to the back of one of the computers, that is
almost always on, and have it act as a server to the laptop and/or PPC

idea 2 is obviously more cost effective. but i have no idea if it
would actually work. I am totally new to wifi. Please let me know
what you think. pros and cons of each welcome!

TIA

Mike

Why don't you buy a Wireless hub/router, sell your current d-link router,
buy a wireless card for your notebook and you are on the air!

Bill

"Michael Smith" <yeahright@nonya.com> wrote in message
>I am looking to add wireless capability for my laptop and/or PPC
>
> Here is my setup now.
>
> I have a d-link 4 port router right now coming off my cable modem.
> from that it goes to 2 computers and at times the laptop in questiion
>
> What i want to do is be able to use the laptop elsewhere in the house.
>
> I have 2 ideas for setup. please help with which one would be best.
>
> IDEA 1: Setup a wireless router off of the 4th output of the wired
> router, and use the laptop with a PCMIA card. and PPC with it's built
> in wifi
>
> IDEA 2: Add a Wifi card to the back of one of the computers, that is
> almost always on, and have it act as a server to the laptop and/or PPC
>
> idea 2 is obviously more cost effective. but i have no idea if it
> would actually work. I am totally new to wifi. Please let me know
> what you think. pros and cons of each welcome!
>
> TIA
>
> Mike

Great idea. that is what i was looking for. ideas. guess i didn't
think about that being a possiblility. Looking into that.

Mike

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:41:20 GMT, "Happy Canuck"
<Happy_canuck@canada.com> wrote:

>Why don't you buy a Wireless hub/router, sell your current d-link router,
>buy a wireless card for your notebook and you are on the air!
>
>Bill
>
>"Michael Smith" <yeahright@nonya.com> wrote in message
>>I am looking to add wireless capability for my laptop and/or PPC
>>
>> Here is my setup now.
>>
>> I have a d-link 4 port router right now coming off my cable modem.
>> from that it goes to 2 computers and at times the laptop in questiion
>>
>> What i want to do is be able to use the laptop elsewhere in the house.
>>
>> I have 2 ideas for setup. please help with which one would be best.
>>
>> IDEA 1: Setup a wireless router off of the 4th output of the wired
>> router, and use the laptop with a PCMIA card. and PPC with it's built
>> in wifi
>>
>> IDEA 2: Add a Wifi card to the back of one of the computers, that is
>> almost always on, and have it act as a server to the laptop and/or PPC
>>
>> idea 2 is obviously more cost effective. but i have no idea if it
>> would actually work. I am totally new to wifi. Please let me know
>> what you think. pros and cons of each welcome!
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Mike

Ok i thought of a reason to do it the 2nd way. Price. I can get a
..11g PCI card for $10. I already have a .11b laptop card. so for $10
i could have internet capability on the laptop away from the wires.
OK, Ok, i know that the two standards will produce slower throughput.
ie only run at the .11b speed. but for browsing the internet etc,
that should be ok, shouldn't it?

thanks Mike

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:41:20 GMT, "Happy Canuck"
<Happy_canuck@canada.com> wrote:

>Why don't you buy a Wireless hub/router, sell your current d-link router,
>buy a wireless card for your notebook and you are on the air!
>
>Bill
>
>"Michael Smith" <yeahright@nonya.com> wrote in message
>>I am looking to add wireless capability for my laptop and/or PPC
>>
>> Here is my setup now.
>>
>> I have a d-link 4 port router right now coming off my cable modem.
>> from that it goes to 2 computers and at times the laptop in questiion
>>
>> What i want to do is be able to use the laptop elsewhere in the house.
>>
>> I have 2 ideas for setup. please help with which one would be best.
>>
>> IDEA 1: Setup a wireless router off of the 4th output of the wired
>> router, and use the laptop with a PCMIA card. and PPC with it's built
>> in wifi
>>
>> IDEA 2: Add a Wifi card to the back of one of the computers, that is
>> almost always on, and have it act as a server to the laptop and/or PPC
>>
>> idea 2 is obviously more cost effective. but i have no idea if it
>> would actually work. I am totally new to wifi. Please let me know
>> what you think. pros and cons of each welcome!
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Mike

With your Option 2 you'd be using Internet Connection Sharing, easy to do if
you have Win XP running on the desktop. You might run into some problems
with DHCP if both the d-link and the ICS server are providing addressess??

> Ok i thought of a reason to do it the 2nd way. Price. I can get a
> .11g PCI card for $10. I already have a .11b laptop card. so for $10
> i could have internet capability on the laptop away from the wires.
> OK, Ok, i know that the two standards will produce slower throughput.
> ie only run at the .11b speed. but for browsing the internet etc,
> that should be ok, shouldn't it?
>
> thanks Mike
>

> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:41:20 GMT, "Happy Canuck"
> <Happy_canuck@canada.com> wrote:
>
>>Why don't you buy a Wireless hub/router, sell your current d-link router,
>>buy a wireless card for your notebook and you are on the air!
>>
>>Bill
>>
>>"Michael Smith" <yeahright@nonya.com> wrote in message
>>>I am looking to add wireless capability for my laptop and/or PPC
>>>
>>> Here is my setup now.
>>>
>>> I have a d-link 4 port router right now coming off my cable modem.
>>> from that it goes to 2 computers and at times the laptop in questiion
>>>
>>> What i want to do is be able to use the laptop elsewhere in the house.
>>>
>>> I have 2 ideas for setup. please help with which one would be best.
>>>
>>> IDEA 1: Setup a wireless router off of the 4th output of the wired
>>> router, and use the laptop with a PCMIA card. and PPC with it's built
>>> in wifi
>>>
>>> IDEA 2: Add a Wifi card to the back of one of the computers, that is
>>> almost always on, and have it act as a server to the laptop and/or PPC
>>>
>>> idea 2 is obviously more cost effective. but i have no idea if it
>>> would actually work. I am totally new to wifi. Please let me know
>>> what you think. pros and cons of each welcome!
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Mike

The cheapest thing would be to buy a new wireless router. I got a
Netgear MR814v2 at Staples last week for $10 after rebate. I'm
currently using a D-Link 614+ I got there a long time back for
$15 after rebate (this week they have 60GB hard drives for $50
out the door). As a test, I connected my Netgear router to the
D-Link router and and it worked (had to manually add the DNS
server addresses to the Netgear).

Not sure that #2 will work with a wifi card. I haven't seen
anything about making a wifi card a "server" or access point for
other wifi cards.