Request advice about installing new mobo

dunawayc

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I recently purchased a new mobo, cpu, psu, ram, and vid card to install into an existing case. I want to keep my existing installation of Windows, so I am using Microsoft's KB article that says to "Upgrade" WinXp and when it comes time to re-boot, install the new hardware and let the upgrade process install all the drivers for it. Of course I will backup any important files on the drive beforehand, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. What kind of "gotchas" should I be aware of? Any pointers to make this installation as smooth as possible? Should I install the drivers that come with the hardware? Or should I download the latest versions (if any) beforehand?

Thanks a lot.

unreal_nl

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I shall look around about your ahrdware updates... whats the best update so far... ;)

And i thought theres a 50% change that windows will hang because of all the new hardware?

hawkstar

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Before the upgrade have a general Windows tidy up - uninstall any un-necesary software, empty temp folders and Temp Internet folders, run A/V program and Anti-Spywares, run a RegCleaner and finally defrag the drive - maybe more than once until it looks clearer.

I would expect such an upgrade to go smoothly with supplied drivers, after the upgrade you can check driver details and decide if there is a need to upgrade drivers although it is considered standard wisdom to use the latest drivers.

Immediately before the upgrade use Device Manager to uninstall the video card then shut down PC and do the upgrade.

Good luck and Stay Calm!

aj49

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
recently had my Intel 925xcv MB die. Replaced w/ asus p5n32sli-dlx & 3.4g. I also asked here & I was told that I wuz 90% screwed. I couldnt get windows to play nice long enough to get downloads. Eventually I gave up, installed windows on a new HDD & updated drivers & then just xfered programs etc from the old HDD. I dont have enough time (or that much experience) to fool around & try to get Windows to like my new MB. I did try re-install, etc & couldnt get it to work. maybe it was from other hard/software issues but it was cheaper than bashing the shit out of the computer :twisted: but maybe not as gratifing. I dont seem to be missing anything so I guess it worked well enough. I'll watch & see if you get better results.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
I would consider the uprade as a last resort and just re-install Windows XP with the new board. There are countless little issues that can show up and become quite a headache when trying a swap without a fresh install.