[Request Advice] New build for data model/data scientist - USD 20k

Sep 25, 2018
Hi, i'm being tasked to submit requirement to our hardware vendor for new workstation. It will be running mostly R, powerBI, SQL, and some smaller testing thing in CUDA (hence the requirement on graphic below). Budget are USD 20k, i could stretch a bit if justified. This is only for tower/rack, spaces are available including rackspace, heating, etc.

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: Before end of 2019, mostlikely on December

Budget Range: USD 20k, before shipping/tax

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Running Hyper-V VM for Data analytic (business, not science one), SQL server

Are you buying a monitor: NO

Parts to Upgrade: All part new

Do you need to buy OS: NO, already bought Windows Sevrer 2016

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg

Parts Preferences: Processor are xeon, other no reference

Overclocking: NO

SLI or Crossfire: NV-LINK but not now (motherboard need to support minimum 2 gpu, but right now will only buy 1)

Your Monitor Resolution: 1080 over teamviewer

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Strugling on current one : E5-2620v4, 128gb ram, RAID 1 2x1tb 7200rpm Seagate Enterprise

Our software is mixed between full parallel (my R implementation ate all core and all function is parallelized due to massive number of calculation) and serial calculation (power BI)

This is what i have in mind, but im really open for suggestion

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
CPU: 2 x Xeon 6146
CPU Cooler: Server cooler
Motherboard: Supermicro X11DAi-N (or if im using HP/Lenovo, their motherboard)
Memory: 16 x 16gb ECC DDR4 2666
Storage: 2 x NVME 1TB > im still looking for VROC solution for RAID 1 + RAID 10 4 x 800gb SAS SSD
Video Card: Quadro P2000
Network : 10g network card (intel?)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Above costme around USD 22k in Z8 and Thinkserver.

the only reason for gpu are i need the least expensive quadro that still have all the feature of high-end one (will replace later on, still waiting for confirmation on budget for this one), hence the P2000

Thank you

Solution
The 6146 CPU has a 6 channel memory controller. You want to purchase memory in multiples of 12 with two CPUs. Don't get hung up on powers of 2.

Your other specs ...
I wouldn't recommend specifying a motherboard. The people you are submitting this proposal to are supposed to be the "experts" Give them the freedom to use their knowledge.
With enterprise SSDs, you need to specify "read intensive", "balanced" or "write intensive" to tell the bidder what type use. A read intensive SSD could wear out fast in your SQL application.
You have to identify if you want copper or fiber on your 10GE card. Many server motherboards are equiped with 10GE copper.
You need to specify form factor for the case. Do you want a workstation (desk...

kanewolf

Titan
The 6146 CPU has a 6 channel memory controller. You want to purchase memory in multiples of 12 with two CPUs. Don't get hung up on powers of 2.

Your other specs ...
I wouldn't recommend specifying a motherboard. The people you are submitting this proposal to are supposed to be the "experts" Give them the freedom to use their knowledge.
With enterprise SSDs, you need to specify "read intensive", "balanced" or "write intensive" to tell the bidder what type use. A read intensive SSD could wear out fast in your SQL application.
You have to identify if you want copper or fiber on your 10GE card. Many server motherboards are equiped with 10GE copper.
You need to specify form factor for the case. Do you want a workstation (desk side), or 2U server, 4U server, etc.

Solution