[SOLVED] Request for 1st Build input

Jul 20, 2020
Hi Guys!
I'm super new to the world of PC building and have just thrown together a very rough build after some surface research and was looking for some feedback. Advice on peripherals like keyboard, mouse and monitor would be greatly appreciate too! (Would prefer 2 monitors for work purposes)
Link to my no doubt very unoptimized draft build:
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/sxWFV7
Thanks heaps for any help or advice!

Approximate Purchase Date: Approx 1-2 months time

Budget Range: 1500-1800 AUD After Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming with office work and maybe video editing

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
Whatever's reliable and good

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No Idea

Your Monitor Resolution: Don't currently have a monitor

Additional Comments:

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The support list on the BIOS page for the motherboard, says you're good to go with the BIOS that's shipped with the board. You could go for a DDR4-3600MHz ram kit but given how prices are high in Australia(and New Zealand) I think you have a good build for the price point. I don't think you're going to get all you want with that budget, unless you get some more to splash or you compromise on other arena's.

Here's a revised build;
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($367.40 @ Newegg Australia)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B550M-A (WI-FI) Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($217.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL19 Memory...

Lutfij

Titan
The support list on the BIOS page for the motherboard, says you're good to go with the BIOS that's shipped with the board. You could go for a DDR4-3600MHz ram kit but given how prices are high in Australia(and New Zealand) I think you have a good build for the price point. I don't think you're going to get all you want with that budget, unless you get some more to splash or you compromise on other arena's.

Here's a revised build;
PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B550M-A (WI-FI) Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($217.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL19 Memory ($108.90 @ Newegg Australia)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($88.00 @ Centre Com)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($175.18 @ Amazon Australia)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.98 @ Amazon Australia)
Video Card: GALAX GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB (1-Click OC) V2 Video Card ($599.00 @ Centre Com)
Case: Thermaltake S100 Snow Edition MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($88.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($179.00 @ Umart)
Total: $1912.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-20 21:12 AEST+1000

The two SSD's; the lower capacity is for OS and apps, while the larger capacity is for your game library. You would be best served if you gave us a list of the games you'll be playing and the apps you'll be using since some app's like a scratch/buffer drive. The larger platter drive is for storage. Smaller footprint build, more space on your desk and ofc, the slots on your board are optimally used.

Last edited:
Solution
Jul 20, 2020

Here's a revised build;
PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Sniper X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL19 Memory ($108.90 @ Newegg Australia)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($88.00 @ Centre Com)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($175.18 @ Amazon Australia)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.98 @ Amazon Australia)
Video Card: GALAX GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB (1-Click OC) V2 Video Card ($599.00 @ Centre Com)
Case: Thermaltake S100 Snow Edition MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($88.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($179.00 @ Umart)
Total: $1912.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-20 21:12 AEST+1000

The two SSD's; the lower capacity is for OS and apps, while the larger capacity is for your game library. You would be best served if you gave us a list of the games you'll be playing and the apps you'll be using since some app's like a scratch/buffer drive. The larger platter drive is for storage. Smaller footprint build, more space on your desk and ofc, the slots on your board are optimally used.

Thanks so much for your feedback Luftij, greatly appreciated!
In terms of games I'd definitely be looking towards playing titles such as CyberPunk, Baldurs Gate 3 and Doom Eternal.
For Apps, only basic stuff like Microsoft programs and some potentially video editing software for vlogs but this isn't a necessity.
Is there much difference between the edited build you posted (thank you again) and my original in terms of power? Or a better question might be would I see much increase in capability if I was willing to spend say another 200-300 dollars?
And in terms of the case I went for a mid size case because I'd read that it was recommended for beginners to get something bigger to make it easier on their first time building, is this just for the real dummy's?
Thanks for your help!

Aug 1, 2020
i would be avoiding Asus i got z490E model and Z390F and can not stand there software called Armourcrate its total pits.

i can not wait to get some more money i am going to buy either Asrock Z490 Extreme 4 or Tachi Z490 with built in WI-FI Ax type i found the Asrock motherboards more reliable and better software support.