[SOLVED] request for new build advice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

joseph2011

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Greetings... I am planning my sixth new build. With my previous builds, I received great advice on this forum, which sometimes led to me making key changes to improve my build. All of my previous builds turned out great.

This is not a gamer build. It will be a Linux machine for my business, which requires a lot of math and science processing.

If anyone has any advice about my proposed components, I would appreciate your suggestions and feedback.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BY3JYT

Thanks kindly,
Joseph

Solution
It looks good. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wbfBw6 is my tweaked version. I added faster RAM (3200MHz Vs 3000Mhz). I'm not sure how this will affect your usage, but it is around the same price (I think mine is less actually) for better speed. I also added faster SSD storage, and changed the motherboard to one compatible with the two Samsung M.2 drives I used. Also, mine has a 1660 Ti, it's faster than the 1060, but was also cheaper, so why not? The PSU is a cheaper one. Less wattage, but very good and still plenty to power your system. Also I think the motherboard was cheaper. Regardless of whether you like what I changed, it is still worth adding the 1660 Ti to your build.
I've used Linux Mint for years now and recommend Cinnamon for the desktop UI if you plan to use a desktop environment. Even if you stick with the non-debian version of Mint it still mostly functions like Debian. I've even installed an older 32bit version of Linux Mint/Cinnamon on a AMD Sempron 1800+ single core, 1GB DDR1 400MHz system and got usable performance so performance should fly on the newer CPU you've selected.

Reactions: joseph2011

joseph2011

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
I've used Linux Mint for years now and recommend Cinnamon for the desktop UI if you plan to use a desktop environment. Even if you stick with the non-debian version of Mint it still mostly functions like Debian. I've even installed an older 32bit version of Linux Mint/Cinnamon on a AMD Sempron 1800+ single core, 1GB DDR1 400MHz system and got usable performance so performance should fly on the newer CPU you've selected.

That's exactly the version I selected. I've already made a Linux Mint (cinnamon) 19.2 Live Session bootable USB to load when I finish building my new rig.

I may be waiting for the AMD R9 3900X chip for a while. Apparently, some industrious folks (I'm being kind) use bots to buy up all of the initial inventory and sell it at double and even triple the manufacturer's price on Amazon, Ebay, Newegg, and other outlets.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to my new Linux build. I have a lot of big Python tasks planned for it! Since 2011, I've done my heavy lifting with an Intel i7 3700K, 16GB DDR3 1600 mem, and a couple of large OCZ SSDs using Windows 7 with Cygwin installed. It was (and still is) a great machine, but it's definitely time for a much needed upgrade, and I'll exclusively use Linux from now on. Windows is well past it's prime, IMHO.

Thanks again for your advice and suggestions!

Cheers,
Joseph

Reactions: JQB45

joseph2011

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Update: Amazon Prime sent the WRONG case. It's not even an Antec case, much less the P110 Silent. It was a totally non-descript and reboxed generic case. I had to drive all the way to a UPS Store to return it, plus I had to go through the hassle of arranging and processing the return, and then ordering a new case. This time, I spent a few dollars more and used Newegg, which has been far more reliable over the years. Overall, Amazon Prime has becoming increasingly unreliable in recent years, with shoddy service and indifference to customer problems. Yes, I'll get my money back, but it's the hassle and time wasted with dealing with problems caused by Amazon's inattention to detail.

joseph2011

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Update: The two ASUS MX34V 34" monitors are awesome and I highly recommend this model. It's hard to go wrong with ASUS. I'm using both with my old computer for now, but I'll switch those to my new rig when the remaining components arrive and I finish building it. Even with my older EVGA - GeForce GTX 670 graphics card in my Windows 7 ultimate machine, the new monitors worked immediately and flawlessly. The card has a single HDMI port as well as a DisplayPort port, so I was able to use those for the extended dual monitors. I was pleasantly susprised that worked!

The monitors also work perfectly with my f.lux software that I use to control screen brightness/luminosity. It follows the natural circadian cycle of the sun. That software is also strongly recommended (and free). It makes it much easier to work late and then go to sleep much faster after logging off.

Last edited:

joseph2011

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Update: I'm back on track after some delays, and my new Ryzen 9 3900X finally arrived after a few weeks of waiting. My new build is nearly finished. The only remaining part is my new CORSAIR HYDRO Series H100i PRO. It arrives tomorrow. I decided to go with an AIO cooler to ensure better cooling of my Ryzen 9 3900X processor, and I also upgraded to a SeaSonic Focus 850W platinum. It's more power than I need now, but I could need it in the future.

One snag that I'm running into is with the ASUS PRIME X570 Pro that I've installed my new Ryzen 9 3900X on. The ASUS manual states that I can use the 8-pin 12V power supply for the CPU by itself OR the 8-pin 12V and the 4-pin 12V for the CPU. Are both necessary with this configuration? Any advice?

Also, if I elect to use BOTH, my SeaSonic PSU cables would require me to leave one of the 4 pin CPU connectors dangling. Is this safe? In other words, I have a couple of 8-pin PSU-to-4-pin split CPU cables, which means that connecting both would leave one of the split 4-pin connectors dangling. I've never had to do that before, and I'm not sure it's safe or even correct. Any advice?

Thanks!

zHbJW2W.png

Just make sure the dangling cord doesn't touch anything, I once had a 4 pin molex cable ground to the case and it would zap me when I touched the steel case. It also temp. caused by DVD R/W drive to not function. I eventually just rerouted the cable and used electrical tape on it so as to prevent the issue in the future.

joseph2011

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Just make sure the dangling cord doesn't touch anything, I once had a 4 pin molex cable ground to the case and it would zap me when I touched the steel case. It also temp. caused by DVD R/W drive to not function. I eventually just rerouted the cable and used electrical tape on it so as to prevent the issue in the future.

Good point. I covered the end with electrical tape just to be safe.

I've completed my new build. All is well, except the BIOS does not see the two Corsair Hydro H100i fans. They are clearly running and routed through the split USB lead from the AIO pump (per the manual), rather than directly to the ASUS Prime X570 Pro MB. I'll need to troubleshoot that before wrapping things up. The final steps thereafter are tidying up the cable management, tweaking the BIOS, installing Linux, and then tweaking Linux.

I'll post some pics and a component review after I finish.

Many thanks to you and ConanLock and every else who posted advice and assistance. This remains a very good and helpful community. :)

Reactions: JQB45 and ConanLock
Good point. I covered the end with electrical tape just to be safe.

I've completed my new build. All is well, except the BIOS does not see the two Corsair Hydro H100i fans. They are clearly running and routed through the split USB lead from the AIO pump (per the manual), rather than directly to the ASUS Prime X570 Pro MB. I'll need to troubleshoot that before wrapping things up. The final steps thereafter are tidying up the cable management, tweaking the BIOS, installing Linux, and then tweaking Linux.

I'll post some pics and a component review after I finish.

Many thanks to you and ConanLock and every else who posted advice and assistance. This remains a very good and helpful community. :)
No worries, it's great to know your system is up and running. I don't personally know much about liquid cooling, so the only suggestion I can give is to see that, if any BIOS updates are available, getting the newest BIOS version helps.

@joseph2011 - I am also limited in water cooling experience but I would imagine if those fans run off an internal USB cable that their fan speed RPM could be seen with specialty software (and adjusted) within Windows. Since they are not connected directly to the motherboard as you've mentioned then the UEFI/BIOS would not be able to see them.

Check your manual, perhaps Corsair has a software suite for controlling and monitoring the fans.

EDIT: If you hunt around you may find similar software in a .deb package or similar for Linux.

Last edited: