Request help on memory module.

Frank,

Since you are in the UK try using Crucial's UK site. You can buy from
them direct with p&p free. Personally I wouldn't buy RAM or most other
components from PCWorld as they tend to be rather over priced. If not
direct from Crucial try Dabs, Watford SavaStore, Scan or Aria instead.

Unfortunately older PC100 and PC133 SDRAM is much more expensive than the
current DDR RAM used by more modern PCs.

To answer your question. The PCWorld RAM appears to be either 72 or 144
pin SO DIMM which is mainly used in notebooks whereas your PC uses 168 pin
DIMM SDRAM.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Frank <extracrap@bigbeans.co.uk> wrote:

> I want to upgrade my PC memory with, say, a 256k chip
>
> using memory checker on www.crucial.com I have determined that I need
> one of these http://tinyurl.com/9hy5a
>
> My local PC World has http://tinyurl.com/9jwvf
>
> Is it the same thing or compatible ?
>
> Many thanks

PS I omitted to include the URL of the UK Crucial site which is
http://www.crucial.com/uk/promo/index.asp?prog=desktop2
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Frank <extracrap@bigbeans.co.uk> wrote:

> I want to upgrade my PC memory with, say, a 256k chip
>
> using memory checker on www.crucial.com I have determined that I need
> one of these http://tinyurl.com/9hy5a
>
> My local PC World has http://tinyurl.com/9jwvf
>
> Is it the same thing or compatible ?
>
> Many thanks

Thanks for posting that link Mike, I've just been to check my system and I
can get another 256 for about £25 taking mine upto 512 which is pretty
good <g> the instructions for fitting are nice and clear as well.
According to the site my box will take a maximum of 1024.
Got a new drive for Johns box so I'll be able to load that new game <g>
Joan

Mike M wrote:
> PS I omitted to include the URL of the UK Crucial site which is
> http://www.crucial.com/uk/promo/index.asp?prog=desktop2

Joan,

Glad to have been of some help. I used to use the US Crucial site and
then look for a UK retailer but it is so much easier once I realised that
Crucial operated in the UK as well.

I'm just wondering how long it is before you and Noel end up in
partnership. Noel looking after the computing needs of n.Wales and you
the south. <vbg>
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Joan Archer <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote:

> Thanks for posting that link Mike, I've just been to check my system
> and I can get another 256 for about £25 taking mine upto 512 which is
> pretty good <g> the instructions for fitting are nice and clear as
> well. According to the site my box will take a maximum of 1024.
> Got a new drive for Johns box so I'll be able to load that new game
> <g> Joan

<lol> Could be a while <g> the owner of my local shop keeps asking me when
I'm going to buy the business from him, he wants to retire <g>
That Crucial site is great, I only have 2 DIMM slots of which one has a
256 stick in but according to the list I could have the choice of 512 256
or 128 that will work in my system, even though according to HP my model
is not a UK system <g>
Joan

Mike M wrote:
> Joan,
>
> Glad to have been of some help. I used to use the US Crucial site and
> then look for a UK retailer but it is so much easier once I realised
> that Crucial operated in the UK as well.
>
> I'm just wondering how long it is before you and Noel end up in
> partnership. Noel looking after the computing needs of n.Wales and
> you the south. <vbg>

frank

Thanks a lot Mike, I will purchase online

> Frank,
>
> Since you are in the UK try using Crucial's UK site. You can buy from
> them direct with p&p free. Personally I wouldn't buy RAM or most other
> components from PCWorld as they tend to be rather over priced. If not
> direct from Crucial try Dabs, Watford SavaStore, Scan or Aria instead.
>
> Unfortunately older PC100 and PC133 SDRAM is much more expensive than the
> current DDR RAM used by more modern PCs.
>
> To answer your question. The PCWorld RAM appears to be either 72 or 144
> pin SO DIMM which is mainly used in notebooks whereas your PC uses 168 pin
> DIMM SDRAM.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Frank <extracrap@bigbeans.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I want to upgrade my PC memory with, say, a 256k chip
> >
> > using memory checker on www.crucial.com I have determined that I need
> > one of these http://tinyurl.com/9hy5a
> >
> > My local PC World has http://tinyurl.com/9jwvf
> >
> > Is it the same thing or compatible ?