Request New System Comments

rehreh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004
Hello Everyone:
I have been lurking in this forum for some time to learn anything I can about components for my new system. My primary need is for gaming and video encoding. I want to overclock the CPU to 2.5+ meg. For the near future, I do not intend to overclock the video board. I want to go with the Athlon 64 for its upgrade potential. My budget is 1,300 USD. I encourage and appreciate your comments, suggestions, ideas, and hints. Thank you for all I have learned already and for taking the time to respond to my system proposal:

Mobo - Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 (I may change to one of the new nForce4 mobos after they become available.
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0 Gig (OEM) Winchester 90nm socket 939.
Memory - Either Corsair XMS Xtreme, Xtra Low Latency 1 GB (512MBx2) DDR400 (PC3200) or Crucial Ballistix DDR400 (PC3200). Your comments (please) will help make my decision.
Hard Drives - 2 each Maxtor 200MB 7200 RPM SATA
DVD Cutter - NEC 16X Double Layer DVD-RW
CPU Cooler - FrozenCPU CoolerMaster Hyper 48
Video board - GeForce 6800GT. I want a 256 meg board but I am slightly confused about which model. Forum comments seem to suggest XFX and EVGA are OK. What about Chaintech, Gigabyte, Albatron or MSI?
Case - I would like a case with good cooling, black, and as quiet as possible. I know I want a quiet PSU with SATA at about 450 watts. Your suggestions about these two items will be greatly appreciated. What about temperature controllers to set the fan speeds?
Well, thats about it unless you see something else I need!
Thanks again for any help you can give me...trust me I need it!

bosshoss

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004
For vid-card look no further than BFG. Mine is fantastic, and they have LIFETIME warranties and also come overclocked out-of-the-box. About mobo, most people here will tell you MSI but I havent heard any negatives about giga boards. Dvd-burner, I personally prefer lite-on they seem to last A LOT longer for me than other brands. Good choice going socket 939, better for future proofing. For a case I prefer an ANTEC sonata, the ones I sell come with a true power 430 which I think is a pretty good PSU and the drives have their own little bays that come out that make setup a snap. Overall I likes you's compooter.

<i> If the creator of the human body is "The Ultimate Engineer", why did he put a recreation site right next to a waste treatment area? </i>

dd_viper

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
keep the NEC dvd burner (it was the best in the dvd burners review from THG)

go with crucial ballistix (2 of the 512 sticks) they o/c very well and outperform or match the other memory in its "class"

as the above post said, go with BFG 6800GT it has a lifetime warrenty

lastly u may wanna cut costs by going with a 3000+. the 3000+ o/c better than the 3200+ despite their worse stock speeds. these can o/c to ~2.6-2.8 on <b> stock cooling </b>

Homer: (crying) ahhh i dont remember the last time i cried like this!
Lisa: When u put ur shirt on backwards
Homer: (crying) o ya, (crying) the tag chafed my skin (crying)

rehreh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004
Thanks for the suggestions to bosshoss and dd_viper! I only got two comments so I am going to assume (assume is a dangerous word) that I'm on the right track. I am going to get the MSI Neo2 Platinum bosshoss. Thanks to your comment I looked at the specs and I like it better than the Gigabyte. Since you suggested the Crucial Ballistix memory dd_viper, I am going to give it a try....thanks.

georgebeee

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003
it sure looks good from where I'm sitting, if only I could afford it. I've heard talk the gigabyte board OC's better? you'd have to look into that yourself if it matters to you

good luck with your build

rehreh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004
Thanks for your comment georgebeee. I have researched both boards and they seem to be very close. I read one negative review about the gigabyte having some bios problems and having some spaceing problems with the memory. The bios has probably been fixed by now. Still weighing my choices but I'm leaning toward the MSI. I appreciate your oc'ing comment...thanks.