[SOLVED] Request sanity check on my new office/gaming build

leedis

Reputable
Sep 6, 2017
Approximate Purchase Date: within 30 days
Budget Range: approx $700 (with some wiggle room)
System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming and office use (will replace my aging Mac Mini)
Are you buying a monitor: No
Parts to Upgrade: CPU, mobo, RAM, PSU, storage. Do not need to upgrade GPU or case.
Do you need to buy OS: No
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon
Parts Preferences: AMD
Overclocking: mild overclock
SLI or Crossfire: No
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
Additional Comments:
I'm requesting a quick sanity scan on this build. It will be used for office use, coding and some gaming, e.g., WoW. The rationale for my choices:
  • I want an upgrade path in case my use model changes. This is part of the reason for selecting an X470 mobo (an X370 would be fine as well) and 550W PSU.
  • I debated the 2600 vs 2600X but there is only a $20 difference so I have the latter in there. If the 2600 goes on sale, I may swap to it.
  • Although I'm not sold on RGB memory, my 14-year old was keen on it :) I do want DDR4-3200 memory (or faster).
  • The M.2 and full-modular PSU are a little splurge but make for a nice clean build.
For now I'm using my Antec 900 case for which I've replaced some of the fans. I can never decide on cases so I will use this one until another strikes my fancy.
I have a 950 Ti GPU. This may be replaced at some point in the future.

Parts: partspicker

AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $185
MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard $135
G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $130
Western Digital - Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $120
SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $80

Thanks.

Solution
MSI is often considered a lower quality brand it seems, however, unless you need the extra features, a b450 chipset board will save you a couple bucks with identical performance, don't go x370, who knows if the bios is updated for 2nd gen. Everything else seems fine, I'd stick with the 2600x as well if you don't plan to overclock.

I've never heard of a gtx 950ti, did you mean something else?
Feb 14, 2019
Hello leedis,

If you will be gaming, I highly suggest you get a dedicated graphics card. there are some good budget options such as an RTX 570 for about 160 dollars, or you can look into a GTX 1050/1050 ti for between 100 and 150 dollars.

Good luck!

MSI is often considered a lower quality brand it seems, however, unless you need the extra features, a b450 chipset board will save you a couple bucks with identical performance, don't go x370, who knows if the bios is updated for 2nd gen. Everything else seems fine, I'd stick with the 2600x as well if you don't plan to overclock.

Solution

leedis

Reputable
Sep 6, 2017

Thanks for the response. I meant gtx 950 (I think I had Ti on the brain from some other discussion I had that day).

I've had good luck with Asrock boards, and have used Gigabyte in the past. I can revisit them for this build.

TRENDING THREADS