[SOLVED] "Request timed out" on secondary router ?

justlikethat424

Reputable
Jun 27, 2018
I connected two routers LAN to LAN.

I set the IP address for the main router to be 192.168.1.1
and IP address for the secondary router to be 192.168.1.2

For the main router, I set the IP range to start from 192.168.1.13 so it doesn't conflict with the few devices that will use the secondary router.

This is the configuration page for the main router

e6e623a5f078082572fc1029c9d02cfd.png

This is the configuration page for the secondary router (DHCP is disabled)

b76c898798e093247239b03a8cea091c.png

This is the internet speed test when the device is connected to secondary router via wifi

2b9b76a33b80941870cc79fde38e5a44.png

This is the speed test when the same device is connected to main router via wifi (its a bit farther from the device compared to secondary)

fd6c10f7094c495df21a6476200c9165.png

The speed test is almost identical using either of the routers, however, I am getting requests timed out when I am trying to ping google.com using the secondary router.

What configuration could I be missing?

Solution
The key difference seems to be the second one is using a IPv6 ip address. I bet speedtest is using IPv4 addresses.

Try to disable IPv6 support in the nic settings on your pc. For whatever reason IPv6 has strange issues for some people...even though IPv6 has been the "future" of the internet for the last 20 years according to many publications.

The second router not being able to ping stuff on the internet is not surprising. These devices even though they are called routers technically are not. It can ping stuff on the 192.168.1.x network because it is directly connected. Anything else must go out the "gateway" which would be your primary router. Most home routers will always assume the gateway is being sent out on the...
I would be suspect of the wifi on the second router having some kind of interference the first router does not.

Can you test using ethernet cables. Does the second router have a screen that lets you ping directly from the router. I would test ping to the 192.168.1.1. This means the traffic never leaves your house and can not be related to anything on the internet.

......................so I get this far do you mean it always fails a ping to google.com but speedtest works or are you saying you get random failure to google.com.

I would change the dns settings on DHCP part of your first router to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 rather than the proxy option. This may or may not be your issue but using your router as a proxy and then using the ISP dns server causes all kinds strange issues. In the longer run you want to setup the options in the OS or in the browser that lets you use encrypted DNS. Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 was the first to support it but 8.8.8.8 (google) now does also.

justlikethat424

Reputable
Jun 27, 2018
I would be suspect of the wifi on the second router having some kind of interference the first router does not.

Can you test using ethernet cables. Does the second router have a screen that lets you ping directly from the router. I would test ping to the 192.168.1.1. This means the traffic never leaves your house and can not be related to anything on the internet.

......................so I get this far do you mean it always fails a ping to google.com but speedtest works or are you saying you get random failure to google.com.

I would change the dns settings on DHCP part of your first router to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 rather than the proxy option. This may or may not be your issue but using your router as a proxy and then using the ISP dns server causes all kinds strange issues. In the longer run you want to setup the options in the OS or in the browser that lets you use encrypted DNS. Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 was the first to support it but 8.8.8.8 (google) now does also.

This is the result when I ping the primary router (192.168.1.1) from the secondary router directly

4d8f9f7c439f0a4f7d2da91b9143c08b.png

My case is, that it always fails a ping to google.com or any other address on the web when I'm using the secondary router. However, when I browse the internet everything works normally without an issue.

I started to look into this issue more deeply when I noticed a significant increase in speed in loading times in mobile apps when I'm using the main router

Here are some bytes sent and received statistics of the secondary router after being on for 50 minutes

18e16b632143ccb5e812b4155a74c1b3.png

I tried to change the DNS settings on DHCP part on my main router as you suggested. The ping speed improved when connected to the main router, but still the secondary router is showing request timeouts upon pinging domain names.

I tried pinging 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 and was getting a response. But not when I tried to ping google.com or facebook.com

b33471618554ea0a9a3a002c7e9eeae2.png

Also, it won't even ping to 8.8.8.8 when I tried pinging from the secondary router directly

0bd2889bfb8f4b662bc8a2d6188c7aea.png

Last edited:
The key difference seems to be the second one is using a IPv6 ip address. I bet speedtest is using IPv4 addresses.

Try to disable IPv6 support in the nic settings on your pc. For whatever reason IPv6 has strange issues for some people...even though IPv6 has been the "future" of the internet for the last 20 years according to many publications.

The second router not being able to ping stuff on the internet is not surprising. These devices even though they are called routers technically are not. It can ping stuff on the 192.168.1.x network because it is directly connected. Anything else must go out the "gateway" which would be your primary router. Most home routers will always assume the gateway is being sent out on the WAN port. It can in theory work if the second router were smart enough to know that the gateway was 192.168.1.1 and it should send that traffic via the lan interface rather than the wan.

Not sure how much effort you want to put into this. Once you get this fixed you likely will not ever log into the second router for anything.

Solution

justlikethat424

Reputable
Jun 27, 2018
Not sure how much effort you want to put into this. Once you get this fixed you likely will not ever log into the second router for anything.

I just want this second router to act like a switch or AP. My intention was just to extend the range of the wifi

It can in theory work if the second router were smart enough to know that the gateway was 192.168.1.1 and it should send that traffic via the lan interface rather than the wan.

Is there any way to accomplish this? Maybe by using DMZ /IP Routing /Port Forwaring?
From all the videos on the internet, nobody seems to talk about the router fixing the gateway to WAN port. Or could it be that the secondary router I'm using is dumb, and I should buy a new one instead

Not sure what is possible and what is not. The device home users buy are not actual routers they are best described as gateways. They take a single lan subnet and translate it to a single wan IP.

Now some devices have route commands but they are so inconsistent I couldn't tell you what you can and can't do with them. I am not sure what you intend to accomplish why does this second router need to get to the internet. When you run the device a AP the ip address is purely used for management. I guess if you wanted to manage the router from the internet.

So first I would look to see if it support static routes and what ranges it supports. Generally if it will not take a 0.0.0.0 mask you can use 128.0.0.0 and put in 2 routes. If it does not have this ability check to see if you can load a third party firmware.

You are getting pretty fancy here for something that does not actually need to talk to the internet for most people.