Requesting advice for a single GPU ^Grade

pimpollo71

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Hi guys, I bought a pair of Galaxy GTX 460s (768mb) for $120 in a deal last year for my first rig. They have been great thus far but I recently bought a 1080P monitor and was considering upgrading to the GTX 570, specifically the ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II, since I'm having trouble getting smooth frame rates playing in said resolution. Considering that my 460s are of the 768mb variety, how much of an improvement should I expect with the 570? I have a GigabyteX-58 mobo and an i7 950 cpu. Also, I was wondering if I should be waiting for a price drop with the release of the new 6**** series on the horizon. Thanks for reading. :D

festerovic

Distinguished
An upgrade to 1 gb of vRam probably wont have a big effect at 1080p. I am not sure but if you check out the benchmarks, 2 x 460s is pretty close to performance of 1 570. Not sure if it will always be an upgrade. You should def wait for new cards to bring the price down.

You might want to wait for the new cards to launch for a price drop. Having the extra RAM on the 570 will definitely help on some of the more demanding titles at 1080p, where 768MB isn't enough. As far as raw GPU horsepower goes, I believe the 570 is fairly close to the 460 768MB SLI, so for raw horsepower it is something of a sidegrade, maybe a slight upgrade. It would still be worth getting the 570 to alleviate the memory bottleneck you currently have. The 768MB of RAM is probably why you are having trouble getting smooth framerates at 1080p.

If you have the funds then you could go for a GTX 580 and then you would see a performance increase.

EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$469.99 and a $30 rebate makes it $439.99 and free shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130587

This is a weekend special at Newegg and ends 1/22 , this is as low as I have seen a 580 and it would be a good chance to score a top card like the 580. Evga offers a lifetime limited warranty on this card.

Ahh... Back to the north american forum :).

Anyway, Price drop I think is not going to be straightforward after the release of the keplers. That means, after they are released the price won't go down in days rather months after the release of keplers. The price drop takes time and again this is my opinion and/or what I think.

Kepler can be launched Either February and later (I have seen it on February but, kinda not believe the rumor) and price drop should be like starting from April or later, which means you have to wait longer for price drop, except you are getting kepler ITSELF.

But actually, if you can wait, good, but there is always a price drop at anytime mate. So no matter how long you wait price will drop in time except they are discontinued.