Question Requesting assistance in choosing a large monitor

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
1. What Is Your Country Of Origin?
USA

2. What do you plan to do with this monitor? (ex. Games, Movie Watching, Photo Editing, etc.)
Casual Gaming, Watching Twitch and YouTube

3. What resolution and screen size do you want?
No idea what resolution I will need - will explain after questions
35"+

4. What refresh rate do you want? (ex. 60 hz , 70 hz.)
120 and up.

5. How much are you looking to spend?
I'd like to keep it under 600 but may go a bit higher

6. Brands Preferred (ex. Samsung, Acer, Asus, AOC, HP, Viewsonic, etc. )
Any reputable brand will work

7. Brands Not Preferred (state reason why)

8. Are You Buying More Than One Monitor?
No, will be using my current primary monitor as secondary.

9. How Many Displays Can Your GPU Support Maximum? And what GPU and driver version are you using if applicable?
I think it can handle 3 at most, but I will only run 2.
GPU: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8 GB PCS+

10. What Port Do You Want To Connect To (ex. DVI-D, HDMI, etc).
Probably HDMI or DisplayPort - see more details after questions.

11. Is This Monitor A Primary Display Or A Secondary Display?
This will be primary display and my current primary monitor will become secondary

12. Is This A Secondary Display For A Laptop?
No

I am looking to get a large display monitor. I am legally blind and need to make things bigger, however, in games that have UI Scaling it makes their menus and other items overlap each other making them semi-unplayable.

I am looking for 35" or bigger, so that I can have bigger text, etc. As far as resolution goes, it doesn't matter as long as it fits my request for bigger text to read things easier.

I am planning on getting a new build, so my GPU will be changing, I just haven't decided on AMD or Nvidia but the monitor may pick for me.

Current GPS: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8 GB PCS+
Current Primary Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz
Currently Secondary will be recycled or tossed out if I can't find a way to recycle it.

I play RPGs, Simulators, no FPS games.
Here are the games I play on Steam to show the games I play: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TrickyNick77/games/?tab=all

Please ask any other questions you may feel will help in choosing a monitor.

D

Deleted member 362816

D

Deleted member 362816

So when you say 35"+. Are we to assume 21:9 aspect ratio then? Or 4k resolution?

Kinda wonder if a 32" 16:9 1440p would be best.

Price wise 32 would be much more in line then 35, but he stated he wanted 35" so that is what I looked for.

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
The main reason is to give me "more" screen real estate, so that things are bigger to make them easier for me to read without using tools such as Windows Magnifier.

It's why I am not sure what resolution I need. Heck, if you think a smaller monitor may fit the bill I will look into it.

D

Deleted member 362816

The main reason is to give me "more" screen real estate, so that things are bigger to make them easier for me to read without using tools such as Windows Magnifier.

It's why I am not sure what resolution I need. Heck, if you think a smaller monitor may fit the bill I will look into it.

You can always adjust text size etc in DPI scaling settings in windows 10 and 11, Price wise 32" will be cheaper and you will end up with a better monitor vs 35"

These are just my opinion. The first one is hard to beat for the price.

Super solid for the price: IPS,165HZ,Fully Adjustable Stand.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/QCWzK8/monoprice-dark-matter-315-2560x1440-165-hz-monitor-43548

Better:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fP...4vql1b-340-3440x1440-165-hz-monitor-vg34vql1b

Best:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/N2...a-315-2560x1440-240-hz-monitor-lc32g75tqsnxza

43", 4k, 144Hz VRR, HDR1000, 4000:1 contrast, 1ms response time $700
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824716002?item=N82E16824716002
^Just saying it's an option. Make sure this is an acceptable size for your viewing distance. This is basically 4 of your current monitors. So technically you could use Windows DPI scaling to 400% and see the same amount of content as your existing monitor whilst everything is 4x larger.

Once you get above 32", it's pretty much 21:9 from there up to ~40". And I don't get the feeling that 21:9 is going to benefit you.
I feel that 32" is sufficiently large (although I'm not legally blind) and as mentioned before, you can set Windows DPI scaling and ease of access settings as needed (I'm sure you know how to only make text bigger via Settings>ease of access>display>Text Size). The truth is, DPI of your monitor largely determines the size of things on screen when left at windows' default 100% scaling. Past that, yes, having more size to spread more pixels across (43" 4k) allows you to scale things up considerably while still being able to see more than a 24" 1080p monitor.

Also having a 1440p resolution monitor means you can spend around $350-$450 on a GPU and get decent frame rates. Higher resolutions require $$$ GPU.

Last edited: