jwlionking

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
Approximate Purchase Date: This Week
Budget Range: ~$4,000
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming
Overclocking: Yes
SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Hi All, I am looking to purchase parts--hopefully before the "weekend" ends.

I plan on having 3 monitors in total - 2 @ 1080p and the main monitor @ 4k but considering 1440p.

World of Warcraft will be primary game played.
Others :
H1Z1
Planetside 2

Also will stream with OSB and utilize Bluestacks for Android emulation.

Here are the parts I have so far :

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VBm3vK

I haven't added any cooling items.. Still researching the best for this.. I am new to the whole cooling scene past fans lol

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 WIFI-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2666 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)
Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer™ ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply EVGA 850W ATX12V / EPS12V
Monitor: Asus PB287Q 60Hz 28.0" Monitor

jwlionking

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
Awesome, thank you! I will definitely adjust my list. I feel I should liquid cool so I will add your recommendation.

jwlionking

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
Thank you so much for the information.. I feel I am almost there!!! Below is where I am at now. One thing I am trying to research on the best value are monitors : (trying to find a larger size 4k monitor but may be too much $$$)

1ms with gaming in mind:

Acer XB280HK 60Hz 28.0" Monitor
Acer XB280HK bprz 60Hz 28.0" Monitor
Samsung U28D590D 60Hz 28.0" Monitor
Asus PB287Q 60Hz 28.0" Monitor

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jwlionking/saved/c4gKHx

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($321.75 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($87.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 WIFI-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($327.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2666 Memory ($449.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($389.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($389.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($549.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($549.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer™ ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($117.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Acer XB280HK 60Hz 28.0" Monitor ($756.45 @ Amazon)
Total: $4091.87

jwlionking

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
Why do we make it so hard on ourselves to pick the perfect parts!!! I guess because it's hard earned money.. Now I am trying to determine if it's worth the extra money for IPS vs TN for gaming.. Watching youtube videos now. I never had a low latency monitor before so not sure if latency is a super big deal or not...

jwlionking

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
Ok... I just learned a very good point of trying to avoid ghosting... If I find it important to be able to read text while it's moving on screen, I will want to minimize ghosting so it's not blurry!! Research is so important!

So now I am reconsidering 4K so I can get a better quality monitor...

Knicks2012

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
I was looking to build a 4k rig but with windows 10 and more 4k tech coming later this year and the current lack of options for parts and monitors I have decided to push back my build till next year. Im hoping its gonna be easier and cheaper next year to build a 4k60fps pc and there will be more games that support it.

jwlionking

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
Agreed.. That is why I am considering on just choosing a better 1440p monitor now.. And I could probably get away with just one video card then... Ugh.. Decisions ... Decisions...

jwlionking

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
I gotta say.. Reading through the forums here really helps with making the right decisions.. And getting different insights.. I am so glad I didn't choose to go with a pre-built PC or go in blindly with building my own.

Knicks2012

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

Same here. This site and pcpartpicker helped me a lot when I build my current pc a couple years ago. Also gave me help with adding hard drives and giving tips on my dream 4k pc

Knicks2012

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

im looking for high to max settings at 4k60fps

TofuLion

Admirable
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($551.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($87.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($253.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung XP941 Series 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($476.69 @ Mwave)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($124.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 295X2 8GB Core Edition Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($694.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 295X2 8GB Core Edition Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($694.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair AX1500i 1500W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($389.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: AOC U2868PQU 60Hz 28.0" Monitor ($499.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $4075.57
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-09 00:32 EST-0500

11sphere92

Distinguished
Hey mate you spend like 500 bucks for only 2TB of SSD that didn't help that much since you only play WOW + H1Z1

Im suggesting to get 512 SSD, and get like 4TB of HDD (Which be mainly for your storage film etc) but for games you usually play put it on SSD.

If you want 4tb do not get 1 4TB drive. Make sure you get 2 2TB drives and if you want good performance out of them get the Black series/ WD black/caviar black (they're all the same).

As for the SSD. It's a good idea but there won't be any performance benefit. Only load speeds will be better and that is it.

TofuLion

Admirable
we have a guy on the forums that uses them for 4K gaming. also, the Samsung XP941 actually runs at the speed of PCIe 2.0 x 4 which means it's speed can surpass even 1TB 850 EVO in raid 0. and the ASRock Extreme6 is one of the few boards that actually supports those speeds on an M.2 socket. everything about that build is high performance :D

TofuLion

Admirable
you have. OP is looking to set up a 4K gaming rig (in case you can't read) and i mentioned your setup using quadfire as opposed to 980 SLI. i was hoping you could share some of your first hand experience to allow them to make a more accurate choice. for $4000 you don't want to make any mistakes. also, they had some trouble choosing the best monitor for the set up, was hoping you could assist with that decision as well.

-Lone-

Admirable
Actually I read the whole thing before I type anything like I usually do, unless the thread is obnoxiously long then I just kinda skip it, lol. I was just waiting for someone to say something :)

But onto the build. My first advice is don't get over 3 GPUs, unnecessary heat and power plus it is pretty useless for gaming. Also, pick a strong single GPU such as the gtx 980 ti or the 390x, but since you want it this week, the gtx 980 is the best you can get. Of course you can sell it later and upgrade to the new ones later if you want. Why I'm saying to get a strong single GPU is because sometimes CFX/SLI doesn't work very well in some games, so it is good to have a strong single GPU as the base to still be able to run at the desirable settings with a few tweaks. My recent example is Dragon Age: Inquisition, it supports CFX/SLI and mantle, but it doesn't work very well with them. When I enabled CFX while playing it, it makes the game load extremely slow like you wouldn't believe, something is obviously wrong there because loading times is up to your SSDs/HDDs. So that is partially broken in the game, it may give you a desirable fps but also makes the game nearly unplayable. So instead of doing that I turned off my CFX and use only a single 290x instead of all 4, I can get 20-30 fps with DX11, but I switched to mantle and changed some settings in the catalyst for the game. Everything is still on ultra settings except for AA at 4k, with just a single 290x and mantle I can maintain constant 60 fps 80% of the time. The other percentage is from cutscenes, whenever you enter a new area or go into a cutscene, it's like the game just got slammed with x8 of AA and drops to 1-5 fps then goes back up again but still fluctuates during the cutscene. So that's why it is important to have a strong single GPU if CFX or SLI ever give you issues, you'll just have to do some tweaking to get that 60 fps and I still managed to get 60 fps at ultra with only 1 GPU. Which is surprising even to me on this newest game. I have actually only use CFX in one game, and that's Crysis 3, that is the only game that seems to need the extra GPU power without any issues, but since there's no achievements, I beat it once and that's it, now my CFX is off for all of my games. So actually I have been playing 4k at ultra with only a single 290x for a while now, of course in some games you won't get good fps because of how it is optimized. For example I can get 70-160 fps in BF4 but I can rarely get 60 fps in FC4 since it doesn't even support CFX and is more optimized for Nvidia. Also, there are some disadvantages you get in older games with CFX, such as Mass Effect trilogy, Fable Anniversary, Sleeping Dogs, those kind of games you can actually get less fps with CFX/SLI being on. When I used to have CFX on for all of my games, I get like 20-30 fps in Mass Effect 3 and Sleeping Dogs, 40s for Fable Anniversary. Now that I turned it off, I get constant 60 fps 4k at ultra with those games with like 1-5% of fps dips. Another reason why I don't have CFX on is because of the heat, actually the 295x2 starts to throttle if it gets above 75C, which sucks and I didn't know until my friend bought it and told me about that fact, so I was wrong about that it doesn't get any higher than 74C. That's why I don't think the 295x2 will be for you unless you have a very good airflow in your case and room. If you want it the build now, the gtx 980 is your best option and like I said you can sell it later for the new ones. Right now I'm waiting until GTA V release and test it for a few days then I'll sell my 295x2s and start with 2x 390x and get a 3rd if necessary. Now for the monitor, seeing as the gtx 980 can almost get a pretty nice fps in most games, I think you should get a g sync monitor if you ever go over 60 fps at 4k with the new GPUs, that will certainly help if you get like 100 fps or something. I think I'm sticking with AMD for mantle capability and plus my TV doesn't have g sync, lol. Mantle certainly helps when you are using a single GPU just like I did in Dragon Age: Inquisition :) Normally I would say you should go with an x99 build, but it seems it has some weird issues, especially with OC. More and more people are having OC issues with their x99 systems, including me, since you want to OC, I'm not sure if you want go that route. If you want to research into it and find some fix for that, then go right ahead. The only things I like about the x99 systems is like the motherboard, I like how it has so many features such as surge protection and actually tells you, that's how I found out my AX1500i was defective, otherwise I might have never known it was that. Also it gives a Q code (Shows in two characters) that shows on the motherboard which tells you exactly where the problem is, and I like this safe boot button which forces the PC to boot into bios if your PC doesn't POST, so those are some nice features that comes with it. If you are stick with 2-3 GPUs, I think a z97 build will suffice if you want absolutely no problems with OC since it has been out quite a while now. I don't OC so the x99 build doesn't bother me that much. I think that's about all I have to say about 4k gaming/build, I'll add more if I remember more :)

This is within your build if you go with x99, just get high quality fans to get good airflow to prevent throttling, the case has plenty of fan mounts. You can always add more storage later, so that should be your less worry. 1000w will be enough if you are even planning to go up to 3 GPUs, but the 1300w is only $10 more, so why not, $10 for 300w is not a bad deal. I chose MSI in case you want to match the mobo/RAM in scheme in case you like that, plus they make some pretty nice Nvidia GPUs.

x99 build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Rb624D

Now much on color scheme matching, but it has what you need.

z97 build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/W4w8CJ

I think this is the longest paragraph I have ever written in a forum :lol: