Requesting new apartment internet connection issue solution.

mcabossart

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016
Hello Tom's Hardware community,

I am having trouble connecting to the wired internet on my Desktop PC at my new apartment complex.
Some general background to my accessibility of the internet:

My apartment complex is near a university which has Ethernet cables running through walls allowing multiple rooms to connect to the same router.
I do not have direct access to the router or modem in my apartment, and do not know where it is located.

I have connected my laptop to the internet through the same port using the same Ethernet cables (Multiple cables are working). However when I attempt to connect my desktop to the same port it does not connect to the internet. The desktop claims that "No Ethernet Cable is connected".

Searching through many similar topics I started to assume that the Ethernet Port was fried on the Desktop through many years of abuse and multiple moves.

I made a last ditch effort to connect my laptop to my desktop via the same Ethernet cables, to see if I could piggyback off of the wireless connectivity my laptop has. My desktop responded by noticing the network, but claiming that "The Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration".

I assume that this means my desktop's Ethernet port is not fried, but the connection to the wall is somehow lost between the gigabyte motherboard, Ethernet cable, and wall jack.

Knowing and understanding the above, what should I attempt in order to correct my internet connectivity problems for the Desktop computer?

I am okay with attempting to remedy the connection between laptop->computer for internet.
However the ideal situation would be to connect my desktop to the wall jack, and have working internet.

Thank you!

mcabossart

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016

I am able to connect my laptop via the same Ethernet cable into the same wall jack, and I have perfect internet when doing that. The connection to the Desktop however is not noticed when the Ethernet cable is plugged into the wall jack.

The only thing I can think of is, this old desktop doesn't have auto-MDIX, and the switch port happens to be on a "wrong" port. Got a cross-over CAT5 laying around?

BTW, it won't hurt to look at the NIC tinny LEDs by the RJ45, consult manual, if you see a LINK light active, that's a good sign and it says you have established a hardware connection to the switch, after that you can proceed to troubleshoot your tcp/ip. If no good LINK light, you are dead.

mcabossart

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016

I'm not sure if I have a crossover CAT5 cable, but the Ethernet cable I am using states on it: ETL VERIFIED TO TIA/EIA 568-B.2 CATEGORY 5E UTP... When I connect my Laptop to my Desktop with the Ethernet cable, the NIC LEDs are green & Flashing yellow. However when I just have the desktop plugged into the wall jack, none of the LEDs for the port are lit.