[SOLVED] Requesting some confirmation that my build is compatible

Adam14319

Commendable
Mar 20, 2020
I am fairly new to the master race, I'm trying to upgrade my PC. I was planning on buying a rog b450-f motherboard, a Ryzen 7 2700 CPU, and a GTX 1660 GPU. I currently have AR500W power supply. Would these components be compatible? Thanks so much!

Solution
Corsair and EVGA are good brands. The stories you must have heard would be for their poorer models. I also did not see any mention of you changing your RAM. You need DDR4 for the newer platforms.

Here is a good upgrade route for you:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB MINI ITX OC Video Card ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply...
Yes, they will be compatible. Two things though.

1. I'd recommend upgrading that PSU to a much more reliable brand and model. It can still be 500W, which is enough to support the GPU (whose PSU recommended wattage minimum is 450) but this will lock you out of many future upgrades, like a stronger GPU that recommends much more wattage.

2. It looks like that motherboard may or may not come pre-set for 3rd generation Ryzen CPUs, and you'll be getting a 2nd gen. You may have to install a separate version of BIOS that is meant for 2ng gen Ryzen, and that file can be found on your motherboard's support section online. Be extremely careful when updating the BIOS. Either do a ton of studying on the process of updating, or find a friend that has experience with it to do it for you.

Reactions: Adam14319

Adam14319

Commendable
Mar 20, 2020
Yes, they will be compatible. Two things though.

1. I'd recommend upgrading that PSU to a much more reliable brand and model. It can still be 500W, which is enough to support the GPU (whose PSU recommended wattage minimum is 450) but this will lock you out of many future upgrades, like a stronger GPU that recommends much more wattage.

2. It looks like that motherboard may or may not come pre-set for 3rd generation Ryzen CPUs, and you'll be getting a 2nd gen. You may have to install a separate version of BIOS that is meant for 2ng gen Ryzen, and that file can be found on your motherboard's support section online. Be extremely careful when updating the BIOS. Either do a ton of studying on the process of updating, or find a friend that has experience with it to do it for you.
I appreciate the feedback, I checked and the motherboard is preset for 2nd gen Ryzen. Would you say this build would be vr ready?

Nvidia's website lists the 1660 as VR ready, yes. You might not get the highest graphics quality out of it, but it should work fine. The 2700 is also a solid CPU, I have the 2700X and it offers great performance, and the performance difference between the two is pretty minimal, so you should be just fine with VR.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam14319

Adam14319

Commendable
Mar 20, 2020
Nvidia's website lists the 1660 as VR ready, yes. You might not get the highest graphics quality out of it, but it should work fine. The 2700 is also a solid CPU, I have the 2700X and it offers great performance, and the performance difference between the two is pretty minimal, so you should be just fine with VR.
I've been looking for some power supplys such as Corsair and EVGA and keep hearing horror stories of these dying and frying computers. Do you have any recommendations for a reliable power supply?

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019
I am fairly new to the master race, I'm trying to upgrade my PC. I was planning on buying a rog b450-f motherboard, a Ryzen 7 2700 CPU, and a GTX 1660 GPU. I currently have AR500W power supply. Would these components be compatible? Thanks so much!
My suggestion is to change your Motherboard.
Asus X570 Prime is good budget option or B450 Tomahawk Max
Else is good to go

Corsair and EVGA are good brands. The stories you must have heard would be for their poorer models. I also did not see any mention of you changing your RAM. You need DDR4 for the newer platforms.

Here is a good upgrade route for you:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB MINI ITX OC Video Card ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $672.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-21 05:21 EDT-0400

The MSI B450 MAX is already Ryzen 3rd Gen ready as it ships out with the latest BIOS.

Solution