Question Requesting troubleshooting assistance with issues on a new build ?

foxflyer

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Good afternoon

I recently built a system for a family member and he has been running into issues ever since. His main issues at the moment are CTDs, so my first instinct is a graphics card problem which is why I have posted in this section.

This is the build:
At first we had loads of issues with loads of BSODs with varying messages including, but not limited to driver_irql_not_less_or_equal and system_service_exception - I do recall one was specifically related to a bedaisy.sys error according to one of the minidumps, so I had him reinstall both Battleye, then Rainbow Six entirely. After this first stretch of issues, I tried the following:
  • BIOS update - it was not up-to-date, so I ensured that it was as up-to-date as possible following instructions from MSI's website; BIOS file last updated 7 Feb 2024
  • Ensured that the graphics drivers were as up-to-date as possible, each time with a clean install performed; latest driver updated 20 Mar 2024.
  • I reseated both the RAM and the video card to see if that was the issue
  • I made sure that Windows was as updated as possible
  • I downloaded and/or updated:
    • system and chipset drivers; last update 6 Mar 2024
    • on-board audio drivers; last update 29 Jan 2024
    • LAN drivers, including bluetooth, wifi, ethernet; last update 26 Dec 2023 (BT/WIFI) and 29 Nov 2023 (ethernet)
  • Ran a Windows memory diagnostic with no issues found
BSODs are certainly happening less often at least, with the last one I recall being bad_object_header. His major problem now though, and something that happened beforehand, was/is games crashing to desktop without any error message or warning. He's told me that this is happening with Valorant and Rainbow Six Siege. I have ran out of ideas with my limited knowledge and searching for the issues and still don't really know what the problem is. I haven't had any major issues with my personal setup, so this kind of troubleshooting is new to me, so any assistance would be welcome.

Last edited:

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
First thing I would try is only having a single stick of RAM in the system and do some gaming and whatnot on it, if the system still acts up, switch it with the other stick just to verify if the RAM is good or not.

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
If you didn't when you installed windows, you should split the disk in 2 partitions. one (~150GB) only for windows, drivers, browsers and other such essentials, the other for all other games and apps. You wouldn't believe how many times i had problems when running a game from the same drive as windows... especially those with intrusive anti cheat software.
I can't say anything for sure but my hunch is that something is wrong with the SSD or there are some corrupt files in windows. Try opening the command prompt as administrator and type sfc/scannow to have windows check and fix bad files if there are any. And try checking if the SSD isn't loose.

foxflyer

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Thank you for the replies. I've since did a clean install of Windows and it seemed to do the trick for a while. I also purchased a set of ram that the motherboard manufacturer recommended in case that was the issue. Unfortunately, when playing a game, his computer froze like before and his computer restarted with no error message popup or blue screen.

I have also created separate partitions in case that was the issue.

If anyone can read through this minidump and let me know what the possible cause might be, please let me know.

Again, thank you all for the assistance. I've never run into build issues before like this, so this process has been quite frustrating.

Last edited:

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
Try to clear CMOS and when windows starts, run the Zen Timings app. On the right column at the top there is a FCLK value. See what that is and then go into BIOS and activate EXPO then look again at what that value is. That is the speed of the infinity fabric and in some cases a change to that can cause instability. I don't know if its related to the CPU, mobo or a BIOS bug, but if it changes, try setting it manually to the default speed from the BIOS settings.
It could be completely unrelated but its worth a try.

Jun 7, 2024
Initially, I would attempt using only one RAM stick in the system and test its performance by gaming and other activities. If the system continues to malfunction, I would then swap it with the other RAM stick to confirm whether the issue lies with the RAM or not.