Build Advice Requesting upgrade evaluation and advice for motherboard, GPU and combined system wattage ?

Nav9

Prominent
Mar 28, 2022
Approximate Purchase Date: This week.
Budget Range: Ideal: $610 (Rs.50000). Tax included.

System Usage:
  • Most important: Programming machine learning algorithms like Convolutional Neural Networks, Generative Adversarial Network and running real-time face detection filters of MediaPipe. Very heavy neural network training will be done on Google Colab or AWS. The PC is for doing freelance programming.
  • Least important: Gaming (not interested in gaming).
Hardware I already have:
  • 20 inch monitor with VGA and HDMI.
  • Keyboard and mouse.
  • 11 year old iBall ATX cabinet with an 80mm system fan.
  • Newly purchased NZXT C550 Bronze rated SMPS.
  • SSD 512GB (SATA).
Parts to Upgrade and preferences in brackets:
  • Motherboard brand preference order: MSI, ASUS, ASRock, Gigabyte.
  • CPU (i5 11400 or i5 11400F. Works at 65W at PL1 and 154W at PL2. Definitely not going for 10th or 12th gen processors)
  • RAM (Corsair 16GB + 16GB. DDR4 3200MHz, CL16)
  • CPU cooler (should not obstruct RAM slots and should keep the CPU cool when running in turbo mode for extended periods of time).
  • Optional: Graphics card (preferably with CUDA support for machine learning).
  • UPS that provides a stable voltage (perhaps a line-interactive UPS).
Buying OS: No. Using Linux.
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Planned purchase location: SP Road, Bangalore, India.
Overclocking: No, but will use XMP (would need the processor to run at 4.4GHz and the RAM at 3200MHz for extended periods of time)
SLI or Crossfire: No.
Monitor Resolution: 1600x900. May buy a 20 inch or 22 inch monitor if the current monitor stops working (it's in operation for 11 years).

Why the upgrade:
The help I need:
  1. CPU choice: Should I buy i5 11400 CPU with integrated graphics or buy i5 11400F and a graphics card? Constraint: The limited power provided by the 550W SMPS. I'm hoping that these processors don't consume more than 154W in turbo mode.
  2. Graphics card: Checked on OuterVision, and it looks like an NVIDIA GTX 1070 would work with the 550W SMPS. However, the calculator probably does not account for running the PC under XMP. Also, the graphics card needs to be available here or I'd have to find a used or refurbished graphics card. But if the 11400 CPU's integrated graphics would suffice, I wouldn't need a graphics card. What to choose, and the power limit, is the dilemma.
  3. Cooler: Selecting a just-sufficient air cooler from https://www.pcstudio.in/pc-build/. My current ATX cabinet has a provision for one 80mm fan at the back and one 80mm fan at the side (so the motherboard would need to have support for these many fans if I need so much cooling). The SMPS is meant to be top mounted in this cabinet, and NZXT SMPS'es fan points downward, which means the hot air from the SMPS will be directed at the CPU cooler. The cooler shouldn't obstruct the RAM slots. The room-temperature can reach 38 degrees Celsius during summer.
  4. Cabinet: Given the heat generated would I need to buy a new ATX cabinet with larger fans and space. Preferably, the front panel should have Type C USB ports, type A USB ports and audio and mic sockets, if a motherboard that supports these is chosen.
  5. Motherboard: Whether to choose MSI B560M PRO-E or MSI MAG B560M Mortar (without WiFi) or MSI B560M PRO or any other brand motherboards at a better price-to-value ratio. Required: Debug LED's, rear I/O shield, stable BIOS, XMP support, should work with a single 8-pin CPU power connector (a second 4-pin CPU connector shouldn't be necessary for operation, but XMP should work with just the 8-pin power connector), durable motherboard. Ideal: BIOS reset button, overvoltage and undervoltage protection, 4 RAM slots, (is VRM heatsink necessary?), ability to boot without CMOS battery. Not a priority: NVMe slots, Type C USB ports.
  6. Backward compatibility: Are HDMI and SATA of newer motherboards backward compatible with the older hardware I have?
  7. UPS: During a power-outage (happens frequently), an inverter supplies power to appliances in the house (except to high-power appliances like the fridge, microwave, etc.). So power comes from the inverter, which is distributed to the monitor and SMPS via a spike buster. When the inverter switches to battery power, there's a slight delay, which used to cause my old computer with a low-end Frontech SMPS to restart. Since the NZXT SMPS is said to have a low hold-on time, I wondered if I need to buy a line-interactive UPS?

Last edited:
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5500 - https://www.primeabgb.com/online-pr...r-6-cores-12-threads-3-6ghz-100-100000457box/

MOBO - Gigabyte gaming B550M - https://www.pcstudio.in/product/gigabyte-b550m-gaming/

RAM - 2 of these - its best to get a 2 X 16 gb kit. but worst case - https://www.pcstudio.in/product/gskill-ripjaws-v-16gb-16x1-ddr4-3200mhz-desktop-ram/

Cooler - Deepcool AG400 - https://www.primeabgb.com/online-pr...le-tower-120mm-cpu-cooler-r-ag400-whanmc-g-2/

GPU - try to get the 3060ti, it has more cuda cores and specifically tensor cores - https://www.pcstudio.in/product/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-windforce-oc-8gb-gddr6-graphics-card/

Case - Deepcool CC560 - https://www.pcstudio.in/product/deepcool-cc560-limited-atx-mid-tower-cabinet-black/

So TLDR: the 5500 gives you about the same performance as the 12th gen cpus while being cheaper.

I have not accounted for UPS in the budget. you might have to downgrade the gpu. I am not the expert in that field.

is the cuda cores a must in the softwares you use? have any benchmarks from say peugeot systems website for the softwares you use for comparison?

the A750 here is 22k, but u have to do your research about performance with the softwares you use.

Reactions: Nav9

Nav9

Prominent
Mar 28, 2022
@Lucky_SLS , your reply was an eye-opener. All this while I didn't consider AMD because I thought Intel was superior. I just found out that the i5 11400's integrated graphics is just a bit better than NVIDIA GT 730. But Ryzen 5 5600G's APU is as good as NVIDIA GT 1030. Moreover, among the corresponding MSI motherboards, the AMD-compatible board was not only excellent, it has every single feature I wanted (assuming the BIOS reset button is the same as BIOS flash button).
So my selected build is now:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600G.
  • MSI PRO B550M VDH WiFi
  • Corsair 2x16GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16 (though I might consider GSkill since it has Rowhammer safety).
  • Graphics card: Not necessary, since the APU can handle it.
  • Cooler: Deepcool GammaXX 400 V2 (120mm) or Deepcool Gammaxx 200 V2 (92mm) or Coolermaster Hyper T20 (92mm).
  • UPS: I'll figure something out.
So as of now, the only ambiguity is with the coolers. I believe the 5600G operates at a lower turbo wattage compared to the 11400, and it has a max temperature of 95 degrees Celsius.
Since this is for basic deep learning and not for gaming, articles like this helped a bit. There are more guides. I guess I'll add a more powerful graphics card only if necessary. I can run small neural models locally to test basic working, and then run it on the cloud.

Last edited:

Nav9

Prominent
Mar 28, 2022
Oddly, the Gammaxx AG400 looks the same. AMD has a recommended list of coolers. Power consumption under load for 5600G is around 80W. Discussions here indicate that the stock cooler (Wraith Stealth) may be enough (I saw somewhere that it may have a 49.7 CFM).
I thought the BIOS reset button was different from CMOS clear, in that a backup copy of the BIOS would overwrite a corrupted BIOS. Gigabyte 880GM had a dual BIOS for that purpose, but didn't have a BIOS reset button. Anyway, the MSI PRO B550 VDH at least has a BIOS flash button.
Thanks!

^ the heatsink thicknedd is almost double that of gammaxx.

With PBO and curve optimiser, you can overclock the 5600G beyond 80W if you wish to do so. Thats where the higher quality mobo with beefier VRMs comes into play.

Reactions: Nav9

Nav9

Prominent
Mar 28, 2022
^ the heatsink thicknedd is almost double that of gammaxx.

With PBO and curve optimiser, you can overclock the 5600G beyond 80W if you wish to do so. Thats where the higher quality mobo with beefier VRMs comes into play.
Thank you. I won't be overclocking though. Just using turbo.