[SOLVED] Require large paging file all of a sudden

Aug 20, 2021
Hello,

About 2 days ago whenever I would boot up a game it would crash with little warning after about 2-5 minutes. (no lag, no freezing, no audio glitch). It would happen whether I'm in the menu or in a match. So after testing my gpu, cpu, drivers, etc. I think I narrowed it down to being a RAM issue. I never had a paging file and never ran into any issues with that, but now all of a sudden I need a 12gb paging file and the games will run.

I tested my RAM and couldn't find any errors. I never max out my 16gb of ram. But all of a sudden I require this large page file after about 2 years using the computer. I'm just wondering if anyone might know the cause of this. Should I buy new RAM, is it a problem with another part?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
it was usually recommended to have Page File size near to or even exceeding actual RAM size.

when it is managed by the OS the size is dynamic and will change across all available disks as more or less is needed.
it's possible that settings were altered\corrupted in the OS and has caused you to now manually input an appropriate size.
Should I buy new RAM, is it a problem with another part?
this should have nothing to do with faulty RAM.
if you really cannot live with this new setting, do a fresh OS wipe & reinstall.
it was usually recommended to have Page File size near to or even exceeding actual RAM size.

when it is managed by the OS the size is dynamic and will change across all available disks as more or less is needed.
it's possible that settings were altered\corrupted in the OS and has caused you to now manually input an appropriate size.
Should I buy new RAM, is it a problem with another part?
this should have nothing to do with faulty RAM.
if you really cannot live with this new setting, do a fresh OS wipe & reinstall.

Reactions: Scoops2
Solution
Aug 20, 2021

Hmmm you may be right and I don't know why I never thought of that. Because when I went to the setting it was set to "no paging file". Maybe that was the issue, that was switched.
Thanks for the response!

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost
Hello,

About 2 days ago whenever I would boot up a game it would crash with little warning after about 2-5 minutes. (no lag, no freezing, no audio glitch). It would happen whether I'm in the menu or in a match. So after testing my gpu, cpu, drivers, etc. I think I narrowed it down to being a RAM issue. I never had a paging file and never ran into any issues with that, but now all of a sudden I need a 12gb paging file and the games will run.

I tested my RAM and couldn't find any errors. I never max out my 16gb of ram. But all of a sudden I require this large page file after about 2 years using the computer. I'm just wondering if anyone might know the cause of this. Should I buy new RAM, is it a problem with another part?

Thanks in advance!
Some stuff won't run without a page file.
It's not that your running short of ram it just expects a page file to be there.
Since this stuff ran without a page file before and now needs a page file something got changed.

If you didn't have this problem before I suspect either something messed up with the paging file settings (as others have mentioned), or that something is actually wrong with your ram. How did you test the ram? Did you use memtest86 off a live cd/usb? That's the only true memory test ime.

Aug 20, 2021
Thanks everyone. I assume the problem was just that the page file somehow got TURNED OFF in the last week. I'm not really familiar with the specifics of how all this works so that's why it didn't make sense to me. But since I've turned the page file on it's running fine now.