Required hardware for MoCA network

Feb 6, 2019
Hi, I have a question I haven’t been able to answer while browsing previous posts on this topic. My goal is to squeeze the most out of my 1Gb xFinity connection everywhere in my house with as little extra spending as possible.

Here’s my current setup:
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMSR0Z37ut0vDM6gylqnc0a0m9tvv6AblwAR-Cc

What hardware do I need for using MoCA to:
1. Get PCs, smart TVs, & consoles online using Coax jacks (run from splitter) beyond a Coax to Cat5e MoCA adapter at each jack?
I’ve used power line adapters previously and heard MoCA is a significant upgrade.
2. Increase WiFi speeds in areas of my home further from the XB6 router? Can I use MoCA WiFi boosters & how many?
3. Increase wired speeds for PCs, smart TVs, & consoles using Cat5e jacks (run from switch connected to router)? Is there a better setup/linking order for the components I’m currently using?

I guess I’m mainly unclear on how much of the “MoCA network” is handled by the splitter & router vs. adding hardware like the Motorola MM-1000 or similar devices.

Thanks in advance to any real network wizards who can help out an amateur DIYer!

I am not so sure the newest moca is really going to be a lot faster than the latest powerline units. They both more or less use similar encoding methods for the data and have similar data rates. Problem is the quality of wire has massive effect for both platforms. Both claim theoretical gigabit capabilities.

I would run as much real ethernet as you can. Moca like powerline shares that bandwidth between all the units so the more you add the slower things get. There is overhead just having the units on and idle. There is a limit of 16 I think on the latest moca but I doubt it works well with that many units.

You can use the moca and then attach AP at the far end to improve wifi. Not sure if they make moca with built in AP, I know there are a number of powerline units that have that ability.

You may want to use both powerline and moca especially if you already have the powerline. This would offload some of the traffic to another network.

Still nothing is going to come even close to 1gb except real ethernet.

Feb 6, 2019

I’m not certain of the coax line quality, but the ethernet that was installed at the same time is Cat 5e and I’m getting excellent speeds from it.

The areas I’m looking to use a MoCA connection don’t have ethernet installed anywhere nearby and are on the other side of the house & upstairs so running a new connection would take a lot of work. The powerline adapter I used wasn’t even close on speed. I thought the MoCA 2.0 speeds might be better. I knew about the 16 connection limit but am only looking at 1 or 2 connections right now. The ethernet covers all the other areas of the house.

I’ll check on MoCA adapters with a built-in AP but wasn’t sure if I’d need any more hardware upstream between the splitter, router, and switch, to get the best overall speeds. The posts I’ve read vary on the MoCA hardware suggested, based on the type of router, type of splitter, etc. the poster is using.

The XB6 modem/router and Commscope splitter “support” using MoCA 2.0, but that doesn’t mean additional hardware won’t be needed to make everything work.

You have to look at the wiring diagrams from the moca vendor there are a couple option on how you do it depending on your equipment. In general you need nothing other than moca equipment. You might need a splitter in some configurations. Obviously the fewer splitters the better it is going to work.
The main concern with modem/router is related to if the device is using moca or a competing standard itself. Some device use it for whole house dvr function. Some of the dvr units have ethernet ports on them so they in effect become moca adapters....I think they are moca 1 though.

Most times simple cable tv coexist fine with moca. This where you get the cabling variations since you must have splitters to get the signals to the cable tv or boxes.