[SOLVED] Required substitute for MB and CPU

gilroycardoz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2013
Had build an existing RIG in 2014 for a client with the following components

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3 GHz 6-Core Processor (₹29999.00 @ Amazon India)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Crucial MX100 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (2-Way SLI)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (2-Way SLI)
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case (₹15990.00 @ Amazon India)
Power Supply: Corsair AX1500i 1500 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: ₹45989.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-25 11:23 IST+0530

Due to 4 recent power outages in successions of 5-15 mins there was a short in the CPU and MB resulting in dark spots on the CPU and bend on 4 CPU slot pins on the MB.

I tried my best to contact MSI for it... but their service is pathetic in Mumbai, India and they don't even have a authorized service center in Mumbai.
Finally, got through Kaizen at Lamington Road who said they don't even consider such damages for repairing such boards.

(NOTE: So for the rest who are opting for MSI products based in Mumbai think twice... I have had not so good experince with MSI / Razer as compared to Corsair products where in corsair replaced them with new and upgraded parts.)

So once again and as always approaching Tomshardware for further inputs on the following things

1. Can the MB or CPU be repaired? If yes, is it worth going for it?
  2. Whats the best suitable replacements for the MB and CPU keeping in mind the existing config based on High/Budget/Low pricelines

Appreciate, a swift response like always from the community :)

Thank you

Solution
CPU looks fine.
Pins can be straightened. If you can't do it (or find somebody, who can), then get a new motherboard.

BTW - warranty doesn't cover bent pins.

Lutfij

Titan
That board is way beyond it's useful product lifecycle and no, from what you've stated it's not possible to repair, unless ofc you can provide images to the extent of the damage. FYI, a short on the CPU cannot cause bent pins on the CPU socket. They're disallowing an RMA due to fears that this was user error, not a QC issue.

If the processor is yet in good health, you can look at a replacement board off of Aliexpress or Ebay. but keep in mind that you're going to have no sort of aftermarket support.

gilroycardoz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2013
I concur with that and i am too surprised with the bent pins due to the short which i know is mostly denying the RMA. I m not sure if that is the core reason for it as only the H100i sat on it most of the time, except it was taken off just to put in the silver artic cooling heatsink.

Here are the screenshot for both

CPU
CPU_01
CPU_02

MB
MB_01
MB_02

Please advice

Thank you

gilroycardoz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2013
CPU looks fine.
Pins can be straightened. If you can't do it (or find somebody, who can), then get a new motherboard.

BTW - warranty doesn't cover bent pins.

I found somebody who repaired it and the systems back to normal...

Would have appreciated by the toms forum if my question was also answered with regard to finding the compatible substitute for the motherboard