Rerouting after unplug

panoSs

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Hello.

After I unplugged my router to change it location I noticed via winmtr/pingplotter that the in-between hops changed. (Not the final or the starting ones). I am aware that it is not up to me but I would like to avoid one hop (tried via vpn no luck).

To be rerouted again:
1)Do I need to unplug my router or just turn it off?
2)How long would I need to do so to get rerouted?
3)Which are the most common reasons isp would reroute someone such as my case?

Thanks

Solution
Normally shut it off for a few minutes and turn it back up. You may need to do it multiple times to reset the routers arp table and have it pull new routes.

It may also not change depending on the ISP configuration. They may have a time to live configured so it may not change until that time is reached.
Honestly there is no clear answer here. ISPs have tons of nodes all over the world. Even a simple router reboot could have the router detect another route. Depending on how its configured it and what routing mode ISP uses, it may have switched nodes because there is an issue with the one you were using before, or it could have switched it based on node traffic or even simply just because it is more optimal.

You can have an extra hop and it can actually be more optimal if that hop is closer to you etc...

The only thing you can do is keep rebooting the modem until you get the node you want. However thats not a permanent solution.

If it is not effecting your packets that much. I wouldn't even worry about it.

panoSs

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013

Ye figured. But will I need to unplug it or just power it off? And if so any idea for how long? A usual router reboot almost never rerouted in my experience but I recall in past having it unplugged and off for like 5-10 mins could reroute possibly. Any idea?

Normally shut it off for a few minutes and turn it back up. You may need to do it multiple times to reset the routers arp table and have it pull new routes.

It may also not change depending on the ISP configuration. They may have a time to live configured so it may not change until that time is reached.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS