Rescuing a 400vtx..

Got a hurt 400VTX to look at..
word is ...it won't start.

true enough...
after supplying it with a new power brick..(verified power is good..19V)
only signs of life are the "charging state" indicator on the front..
(which is orange, not green, so I am letting it rest and charge up for a
long while..
or until I get a green light..)
Attempting to start on AC power, only flicker of life is the floppy access
light and the
hard drive access light flickers very briefly.
?a "normal" machine would boot up on AC even if there was
a battery problem?
....or does the machine run off the battery at all times...even
if it is plugged into the wall?...rather like a UPS...charge the battery and
run off the battery
sort of thing.
...the battery is suspect, as I understand that they are only rated for about
a year of use.
....rather expected the machine to boot up on AC power...but....alas....no.

....TIA

the adventure continues...
bring a machete...

AHA!..battery has a "push me to test" led string..
says battery is fully charged.
Battery is innocent!

right.

all i have to do now is find a way to connect a PCI POST reader tool
into that tiny little box....and find out why it doesn't want to boot.

"Bedraggled" <playthingofthegods@celestial.net> wrote in message
> Got a hurt 400VTX to look at..
> word is ...it won't start.
>
> true enough...
> after supplying it with a new power brick..(verified power is good..19V)
> only signs of life are the "charging state" indicator on the front..
> (which is orange, not green, so I am letting it rest and charge up for a
> long while..
> or until I get a green light..)
> Attempting to start on AC power, only flicker of life is the floppy access
> light and the
> hard drive access light flickers very briefly.
> ?a "normal" machine would boot up on AC even if there was
> a battery problem?
> ...or does the machine run off the battery at all times...even
> if it is plugged into the wall?...rather like a UPS...charge the battery
and
> run off the battery
> sort of thing.
> ..the battery is suspect, as I understand that they are only rated for
about
> a year of use.
> ...rather expected the machine to boot up on AC power...but....alas....no.
>
> ...TIA
>
> the adventure continues...
> bring a machete...

bedraggled,

I just got a GW 400vtx to look at, mine has exactly the same
symptoms. What if anything did you find out about yours? I have
ordered a power supply connector to solder onto the motherboard, but
am not sure this will work.

TIA

geekspeaker