Research: Megaupload Shutdown Impacted Box Office Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadboy90

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
How did they determine that Megauploads shutdown affected blockbuster movies? Perhaps the public was just more keen to go see a movie in a theatre than they were for seeing them before the shutdown. Theres really no objective way to measure this.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Agreed with deadboy90... To me it always seems like movies go in cycles. About 2 years of crap movies and 1 year of ones I actually want to see. Plus it's not like Megavideo was the only site that hosted pirated copies...
You've got movie2k, Potlucker, videoweed etc etc just to name a few.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
most files on mega upload were legit user s posting stuff they created , how f--- does that affect box office sells , this is just a shallow attempt to make mega upload look more important in the pirating scene than it was. if the site was sucha huge pirating tool then WHY did many professors in my school. direct student's there to uplaod large files the school site couldnt handle .. my school was FOR GAME ART DESIGN !!!!! if the site was that big of a pirate place they'd not have recomemended it, as the gaming industry is even more notorious for fighting piracy than mpaa is .

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I gotta admit megaupload wasn't exactly legitimate but all the stuff coming out about the FBI's handling of this smells incredibly bad..

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
how can they say it was not related to the economic conditions around the theaters them selves .. not every one has money to blow on movies and 15 dollar popcorn n drinks

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]most files on mega upload were legit user s posting stuff they created...[/citation]
Cute. Blind naivety always is.

ridri

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Have to wonder how much the global recession skewed these numbers as they seem to cover the same time period.

G

demonhorde665, just because your school used megaupload doesn't mean megaupload wasn't a huge hub for piracy. Your school (and the gaming industry) can be anti-piracy and still happen to use the same data server that pirates use. I seriously doubt that your school will struggle to find a different (and more legitimate) file server for the scale that they need.

Even though this particular article is nearly as bad as some others, it's embarrassing how Tom's Hardware floats so many stories that implicitly mock the fight against piracy. Perhaps it's because so many of its readers (and writers, I'm sure) actively participate in illegally downloading and sharing content, and would like to continue doing so. Somehow the concept of downloading someone else's hard work illegally is not viewed in the same light as stealing a cd box from a store.

Abion47

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2012
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]most files on mega upload were legit user s posting stuff they created , how f--- does that affect box office sells , this is just a shallow attempt to make mega upload look more important in the pirating scene than it was. if the site was sucha huge pirating tool then WHY did many professors in my school. direct student's there to uplaod large files the school site couldnt handle .. my school was FOR GAME ART DESIGN !!!!! if the site was that big of a pirate place they'd not have recomemended it, as the gaming industry is even more notorious for fighting piracy than mpaa is .[/citation]

The gaming industry couldn't care less about MegaUpload's piracy, since it was pirating movies not games.

infernocy

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
This is pure bs -- i am pretty sure that 90% of people who downloaded photoshop never actually used -- how do you know that the users who download this stuff actually use them and in what way does this effect them .... there are so many unis and so many organizations that need to have original versions so they still sell their products ... what this did is damage the users who used it as storage and it was a very good way to transfer stuff ... this is exactly the same as the stories they came up with drugs -- the neighbor reports that their is noise coming from the next house and the cops find by accident that they have drugs and come up with the whole story we have been investigating this case for months ....

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Am I missing something, or is everyone here misinterpreting this article? The article I just read said that box office sales appear to have DECREASED after the shutdown of Megaupload. Yet everyone here is bitching like this is propanganda to support the MPAA's efforts. Sounds to me like the MPAA would have liked to have kept this news under wraps.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]blakbird24[/nom]Am I missing something, or is everyone here misinterpreting this article? The article I just read said that box office sales appear to have DECREASED after the shutdown of Megaupload. Yet everyone here is bitching like this is propanganda to support the MPAA's efforts. Sounds to me like the MPAA would have liked to have kept this news under wraps.[/citation]

Remember this is Tom's. If you have read some of the unintelligible comments you will see that reading comprehension isn't a highly valued skill here.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Round, and round we go. where it will stop nobody knows.
The good old Mpaa, I would like to ask them for example why they have not chewed the asses off on makers of DVD drives since they provided the means and hardware allowing for the potential for it to be miss used, copy a medium such as a dvd film. You know its crazy world, did anyone ever invent a dual deck record player to copy a record and provide the blank medium to do it ?
Why do you think that was ? Tape deck with record function, oh crap someone can record a record to tape now! boom why do you think record sales started to decline may I ask ? we gave them the means to do it. you may Laugh but the logic is right. Dvd`s now Blu ray. And to cap it off a world wide medium to spread it on. because you created the devices to make it so. But there that thick they start at the bottom before they work out the way to stop it.
And the end result blame the people. They will learn.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]Although I would like to see Megaupload back somehow... this is a failed attempt at an AD disguise as a "research article".[/citation]
An ad for what? A service that's been offline for about a year and is likely to never return because it's trapped in legal limbo?

ianpac

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Makes no sense. If people are downloading illegally then they would simply shift to another site when Megaupland closed. The premise is silly

drenyx

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
How about either a coincidental 'no one has money to afford $12 to go see a movie' ... or 'I'm not paying $12 to go see a movie so that $12 can end up in some laywer's pocket

izmanq

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
FBI is Federal ASSHOLE Agency. ( letter is not matched but don't care :p) they closed service that paid by many legit users, but they just don't care. US is now ruled by corporate money.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
[citation][nom]blakbird24[/nom]Am I missing something, or is everyone here misinterpreting this article? The article I just read said that box office sales appear to have DECREASED after the shutdown of Megaupload. Yet everyone here is bitching like this is propanganda to support the MPAA's efforts. Sounds to me like the MPAA would have liked to have kept this news under wraps.[/citation]

You and
[citation][nom]Trialsking[/nom]Remember this is Tom's. If you have read some of the unintelligible comments you will see that reading comprehension isn't a highly valued skill here.[/citation]

You.

Need to re-read before bashing on others ability to understand an article lol. Let me explain.
The article says. "overall movie revenues decreased following the shutdown" K so out of 1,344 movies in 49 countries there was a decrease.
Next. "but smaller and major movie releases were affected in different ways" K so this means that major titles IE: BLOCKBUSTERS "(shown on more than 500 screens)" So the major movies... The ones that count. Your Batmans, Twilights, Harry Potters, etc etc. You know the ones that matter.. That make the money. "the sign is positive (AND SIGNIFICANT, depending on the specification)"

So no.. It wasn't something the MPAA wanted to keep under wraps. They make their money from the blockbusters. Not the independent bs small films. They care about the $$$ not the industry ;). So in short. Yes it is almost propaganda to support MPAA and anti piracy crap.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]unoriginal1[/nom]...it is almost propaganda to support MPAA and anti piracy crap.[/citation]

How could anti piracy be "crap"? You may not like how they do it. You may have ideas about how to do it differently, but large scale piracy is a problem, unless you do not believe in being compensated for your work. Do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.