Researchers Create CPU With 1,000 Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]alhanelem[/nom]overkill much?[/citation]
Not overkill at all. Just highly scalable. It's not because don't yet know what to do with it that it's too much. Plus if this chip ends up being really cheap with a low power consumption, you could have one in a smart phone and not have to upgrade for CPU power.

I have 800 stream processors in my HD4850. It's a nice step forward to have 1000 CPU cores in a chip.

But what I'm really looking forward to is AMD's fusion cores ;)

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
FPGAs are not used within standard computers because they are fairly difficult to program
You can say that again! It took me a week to make one to display some text on a LCD screen (it was the first time I programmed a FPGA).

I knew that FPGAs are very flexible, but I never knew that they are so powerful.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
No you normal software will not run this. Which is why it isn't mainstream. This is the type of stuff that's made for a certain job. And I'm sure who ever would use something like this would use the best ram, fastest hhd, etc..

AWESOME..............
errrrrrrrr, do we get to keep the engineering sample??
I want one that for sure, just the thought of having a 1000 cores makes me think faster , I really wouldn't be worried if it was really slow.... even if apps weren't able to use the 996 cores I wouldn't care less.... this is a just gotta have kinda thing....
AWESOME once again......

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
programers are having a hard enough time threading within 2 3 or even 4 cores... writing a program to utilise this chip to its fullest has got to be difficult to say the least

G

The number of cores alone does not mean too much. There were several concepts even 10 years ago. The maximum I know was 4096. The whole structure and programming possibilities are far more important.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
FPGAs are programmable at the hardware level. Thats why they are very flexible.We can even change half of these CPU cores to GPU cores when we want to play games :D

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]deadheadbob87[/nom]That's nice. Will it play Crysis?[/citation]

Probably, but 1 milli-second after you click start, you've won the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS