Researchers Create First Efficient Flexible Plastic OLED

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i wouldn't want a plastic display without a clamshell, assuming they mean phones.

i mean smudges are bad enough, do i have to go back to easy to scratch too?

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Hmmm, Samsung and LG announced this back in November of 2010 and Samsung had working prototypes at the CES in Las Vegas in January 2011. Somehow I fail to see how this is the "first high-efficiency OLED on plastic ever demonstrated".

What do they mean by high-efficiency? Is it efficiently made (ie cheap to manufacture)? Is it energy efficient, more than Samsung's or LG's flexible OLED screen? Why does this sound like some marketing bs to me?

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]Uberragen21[/nom]Why does this sound like some marketing bs to me?[/citation]
Because the scientists at the University of Toronto have a marketing department?

Granted, the article really should clarify what exactly is meant by "high-efficiency". Since they say that this should help bring flexible OLEDs to mass-market, I can only assume they mean efficient in terms of being cheaper/easier to manufacture.

xcomvic

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
OLED FTW. Let's say 3 years if that, to bring it down to mass-market consumer levels. That's how long it took LED/LCDs to drop down from $5000 to $1200.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]damn that looks cool.i thought some smartphones and tablets with flexible display supposed to come out this year.[/citation]
I thought that to at first, then realised, if there is a flexible screen mounted in a none flexible chassis, then what's the point?

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Remember the window shade TV from Back to the Future II? Here it is, and 3 years is plenty of time for it to go mainstream :p Just don't forget: Bob Gale guessed it would happen by 2015, and way back in '87 too.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]dammit when do we get OLED screens? i'm sick of waiting; i hate LCD screens.[/citation]
As soon as someone figures out how to make them last as long as LCDs. I used to work on these back in the '00s (with flexible displays being the target market no less) and the largest problems we had were water and oxygen. The devices would work forever in a argon glove box but would fail in a few weeks in normal air because water and oxygen would eventually permeate through the case and destroy the OLEDs. The OLED polymers were also about 7000-22000$ per gram depending on the color (I suspect this has come down to more reasonable prices in the last decade). The main issue though, was finding something transparent (to let the light out) but also prevented any oxygen or water from getting to the OLED polymer.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Uberragen21[/nom]Hmmm, Samsung and LG announced this back in November of 2010 and Samsung had working prototypes at the CES in Las Vegas in January 2011. Somehow I fail to see how this is the "first high-efficiency OLED on plastic ever demonstrated". What do they mean by high-efficiency? Is it efficiently made (ie cheap to manufacture)? Is it energy efficient, more than Samsung's or LG's flexible OLED screen? Why does this sound like some marketing bs to me?[/citation]
because the media favors social communists. it's not significant if capitalists already have working floor models if a commie has just reverse engineered it in their lab.

[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]it's not significant if capitalists already have working floor models if a commie has just reverse engineered it in their lab.[/citation]

I fail to see how communism can relate to this article at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.