Researchers Examine Psychological Effects of FB Unfriending

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Um, so what am I supposed to do if I'd like to keep track of a list of my current friends and not ones that I moved at least 400 miles away from and haven't met them for years?

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Pathetic.

I have far more important things to worry about then some person I last saw 5 years ago unfriending me on facebook.

I'm personally no fan of Facebook or other social networks; I enjoy a good face to face social interaction. Facebook is great for keeping in touch or important communications, but it's used for total crap and people get way to involved. I highly doubt the people with 200+ friends are real friends with them.

RealBeast

Titan
Lucky thing that there is no important research to do. If I was hiring a faculty member and I got a resume with Facebook unfriending studies in the list of publications, I would shred and then burn that particular resume. LOL

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
In my job field I simply cannot have something like a Facebook. (lets just say you would need to pass SEVERAL polygraph tests to have my job). I cannot have my friends' drunken debauchery from lat weekend plastered all over my Facebook page... because that how these things work. Its my page, but its not really MY page... stuff from other people keeps popping up on it. Sorry bro, but...
my job > your feelings, when ure being acting the fool.

G

I never understood as to what was beneficial to have a social network that has people peeping every point of my life.

zoobiewa

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
It's hilarious to see people so miffed about these results. Not one comment acknowledges that this illuminates the realness of online relationships. People definitely don't like being reminded that they aren't individuals as much as they think they are but are actually intimately tied into an emotional, social web of connections. :)

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]frombehind[/nom]In my job field I simply cannot have something like a Facebook. (lets just say you would need to pass SEVERAL polygraph tests to have my job). I cannot have my friends' drunken debauchery from lat weekend plastered all over my Facebook page... because that how these things work. Its my page, but its not really MY page... stuff from other people keeps popping up on it. Sorry bro, but...my job > your feelings, when ure being acting the fool.[/citation]

Interesting. My dad has a top secret security clearance and as part of his job, they made him get a facebook page. I suppose he's lucky he doesn't have any friends whose friends act that way (being that he's fifty) but I can defiinitely see how this would pose a problem.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]zoobiewa[/nom]It's hilarious to see people so miffed about these results. Not one comment acknowledges that this illuminates the realness of online relationships. People definitely don't like being reminded that they aren't individuals as much as they think they are but are actually intimately tied into an emotional, social web of connections.[/citation]

I laugh at all psychological research. This study told me absolutely nothing new. Of course people who are deeply invested in their facebook friends list are going to feel particularly bad if someone defriends them. That's so obvious that I am simply amazed they conducted the study.

I also don't trust psychological research. It's an untested, un-vetted, undefined soft science/pseudo-science that is used by corporations and the government to attempt to manipulate the population into doing certain things.

Psychologically designed games suck, psychologically designed ads are insulting, psychological profile quizzes on job applications are unfair, and psychologists are largely some of the most unethical "scientists" in the business. Take a list of the most perverse experiments conducted in the last 100 years and you'll see an undue number of psychologists on the list of participants.

So far as I can tell, psychology at this moment in time is the science of common sense. I pay no heed to it since my common sense is intact.

innocent bystander

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
In my job field I simply cannot have something like a Facebook. (lets just say you would need to pass SEVERAL polygraph tests to have my job).

I used to have one of those. We were discouraged from Facebook use as well, but they didn't prohibit it.

To each organization their own, I suppose.

IB

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
this is sad...very sad...are people going to start committing suicide next?....get a life people....wait someone deleted me....i need to go cry myself to sleep....not

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
That is kind of the point, Nebun... for many people - fb is their life. They have no real friend... hell, even in the real world - most people are not your true friend.

audi911

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Does anyone actually realize the sheer stupidity of these studies?
Does anyone actually understand that instead of "scientists" spending time on researching things of importance they research the "effects of defriending"
What is going on with the world today. Have people become this stupid that they have to have studies that have 0 relevance in a normal person's life?

It's sad to see that
A) Today's youth has a collective IQ of a box of raisins.
B) The people in are part of this box of raisins are the same people who are leading the future of the world.

It's very alarming to see how utterly retarded and idiotic the newer generations are. To the point where scientists have nothing to do but create "studies" about useless things.

[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]That is kind of the point, Nebun... for many people - fb is their life. They have no real friend... hell, even in the real world - most people are not your true friend.[/citation]

^^^This is the case and point^^^

When someone has to resort to having FB as their "life" maybe they need to reconsider the reasons they have no friends. Virtual or real life.

That is sad

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I feel no sympathy for the people I invited purely for gaming, then removed them after I got bored of those games and game requests!

audi911

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
I think anyone who takes virtual world friends needs to seriously reevaluate their social stability.

I also think the idiots who make these kinds of tests should evaluate their professions.

And I think the people who are dumb enough to fund these kinds of experiments should evaluate how they manage their money.

It's seriously a sad state of affairs.

Fun fact: I dont use FB almost at all, i have al most no real life friends, i dont spend much time with family and i only have some friends in online gaming world. So yes, when my EX left me it crushed me real hard. So now i spend time with everyone, dont use facebook, spend time with family and am friendly to everyone.

And i still miss my EX... Psycology is stupid :D.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Thumb me down if you want to for this, but I don't care. If you use religion/going to church (particularly Christianity) because you're too cheap for rehab or a shrink, have a lot of FB friends and get all bent out of shape because you notice you have one less friend, well...something's wrong upstairs. Trust me, I'm "Friends" with someone like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.