Researching Liquid Cooler for CPU: Should I go ahead and include GPU in loop?

duragodoug

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014
Hi all. Here's my build:

i7 8700k
Gigabyte GTX 1080 GV-N1080D5X-8GB
ASUS Z370E Mobo
16GB RAM
M.2 SSD
Fractal Design Meshify C Case

I'm planning on adding liquid cooling due to i7 getting so dang hot

Question: Currently I haven't seen any heating issues with the 1080 (though I haven't pushed it much either); how much trouble would it be to get and install a liquid cooler that could connect to the CPU *and* GPU? I thought it was worth asking since I'll be doing the research and install anyways.

Thank you.

Solution
the only way to fix "hot" 8700K is by deliding it because the original TIM under IHS behaves like bottleneck.
if you want to understand why, here is a nice and eay explanation about heat transfer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxW7swuNQps&

After deliding, it's time to decide what cooler you going to use.
the Air cooling has many advantages like cost and reliability.
AiOs (those sealed liquid coolers from NZXT, Corsair, CM etc) have no cooling advantage over good air coolers at the same noise levels. In fact, many high end air coolers will do same or better cooling at lower noise.
As for GPU, there is a practical justification to liquid cool them. You can go the "easy way" with NZXT G12 + some compatible AIO.
Custom loop is more of a...

duragodoug

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014

Thank you for the input. : )

the only way to fix "hot" 8700K is by deliding it because the original TIM under IHS behaves like bottleneck.
if you want to understand why, here is a nice and eay explanation about heat transfer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxW7swuNQps&

After deliding, it's time to decide what cooler you going to use.
the Air cooling has many advantages like cost and reliability.
AiOs (those sealed liquid coolers from NZXT, Corsair, CM etc) have no cooling advantage over good air coolers at the same noise levels. In fact, many high end air coolers will do same or better cooling at lower noise.
As for GPU, there is a practical justification to liquid cool them. You can go the "easy way" with NZXT G12 + some compatible AIO.
Custom loop is more of a hobby. Cool and expensive, but still a hobby. It can be cooler and quieter if done right, but for that price, you'd get more by upgrading to RTX 2080/2080Ti :)

It takes about 10-20 minutes for most loops to reach equilibrium under load. the gradual heat up and cool down is theoretically better for the components. practically it's not that important.
Anyway, once the load stops, the CPU temp will drop immediately - from 70C to 40C in a split of a second.

Solution