Researching memory....Corsair failing the test?

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Im researching memory for a board I just ordered Intel D9XB975XBX2KR. Went to the Corsair website and found like 10 different types of memory for this board. Decided on TWIN2X2048-6400C4D or TWIN2X2048-6400C4 but when I look at the Newegg reviews, it appears that every other post has an issue with a defective stick. Usually one of the the two. With memory this expensive, I would expect more quality.

Should I be looking at alternatives to Corsair or is this on par with everyone?

Mondoman

Splendid
Newegg reviews are not a random sample and are written by folks with unknown levels of technical expertise. Kingston likely sells many fewer sticks of premium/overclocker's RAM than does Corsair. That said, it does seem that Corsair's premium lines have been having an increased rate of DOAs in recent months. Both NewEgg and Corsair will stand behind the RAM, but getting a replacement will likely result in a 1-2 week delay.

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
So if I might ask you to elaborate on "need or want", what goes into deciding which manufacturer to use? I mean other then Intel speccing the type of Memory to use, I didn't see a recommended manufacturer or anything like that. What should I consider?

Mondoman

Splendid
It depends on your personality and goals. For example, Kingston made its rep on compatibility, OCZ emphasizes performance over compatibility, and Corsair tries for both. Prices vary; if you are extremely price-sensitive, you probably shouldn't even be considering premium RAM.

You might find these posts helpful:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1522552#1522552
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1249881#1249881

tekzor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
corsair is just one brand name that over charges for the exact same ram(or worse) like patriot, gskill, OCZ...list goes on. You will not notice a diff in any "OC" ram.

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
corsair is just one brand name that over charges for the exact same ram(or worse) like patriot, gskill, OCZ...list goes on. You will not notice a diff in any "OC" ram.

I'm not price sensitive but I'm ordering everything to build this gaming computer together and would be quite upset to receive memory that doesn't work.

Are we talking a big difference in performance with OCZ versus Kingston? Noticeable? I would likely go the compatibility route then.

Mondoman

Splendid
While part of what you are paying for is the brand name, there are plenty of differences between different brands, both in the modules (some cosmetic, some functional) and in their customer service. Prices also vary weekly or daily, so you need to figure out your needs, and do some price research.

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
...and also, the chip used (Micron, promos etc etc) also makes difference (how far it can overclock [higher clock/ tight timings], at what voltage @ voltage needed,).

Just clarification
Need: Just enough to run your pc (not much OCing neede)
Want: Well, OC is one of the cause, you want more speed/ tighter timings/more bandwidth etc etc

n45w73

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
Im researching memory for a board I just ordered Intel D9XB975XBX2KR. Went to the Corsair website and found like 10 different types of memory for this board. Decided on TWIN2X2048-6400C4D or TWIN2X2048-6400C4 but when I look at the Newegg reviews, it appears that every other post has an issue with a defective stick. Usually one of the the two. With memory this expensive, I would expect more quality.

Should I be looking at alternatives to Corsair or is this on par with everyone?

I'm a noob, but I got into the same question/problem ....
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/wrong-Corsair-mem-ftopict224941.html

mpjesse

Splendid

I somewhat disagree. In terms of performance, Corsair always has the fastest stuff and the lowest timings FIRST. That's why i always look to Corsair first. But not exclusively. I'm currently using OCZ in my desktop and Mushkin in my lappy.