Question reseated ram and now i get no display

Apr 19, 2023
i decided to take a look at my ram and brush the dust off it so I turned off my pc, but failed to remove the power cord from the outlet, and took the ram out after I put it back in the same spot it was in before the pc wouldn't put out any display, the pc would turn on and all the lights and fans would turn on but I wouldn't get any display. also, I tried to reseat the ram again, and the same thing. also in order to turn off the pc now, i have to hold the power button for a few seconds.
specs:
  • Core i5-10600KF
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
i don't know the other exact specs but my system is prebuilt by cyber power and has a single 8GB stick of ram and runs on Windows 10.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Will the system boot into Safe Mode?

Double check that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Power button being part of the case connections.....

Something may have bumped loose.

Also, some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM be installed in a specific slot. [My underline].

Check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to determine if that is a requirement for your pc's motherboard.

If the problems continue, refer to the motherboard's LED's/Troubleshooting section for other things to check.

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Failure to remove the power cord is actually a GOOD thing.

The third prong on your power cable is connected from your metal case to earth ground. If it's plugged in, and you keep physical connection to the case (I use an ESD strap for this), you can actually protect your electronics from ESD.

Now, OTOH, you should as a precaution turn the switch on the power supply to the off position, so you don't accidentally start up your computer while servicing it (this is bad).

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Also, keep in mind some motherboards (like mine for instance) need lots of time to complete POST, so make sure you turn the machine on for at least 10 minutes to troubleshoot and see if it completes POST before deciding whether you have a problem or not.

I wasted $120 on ram to troubleshoot because of my impatience. Don't make my mistake. 😁