Question Reseating RAM temporarily fixes issues, same issue with previous motherboard.

May 23, 2022
So around October of last year I was having issues with random crashes and freezes on my PC and eventually it would just freeze when it would try to go from the BIOS to the OS. Eventually I took the RAM out of my second RAM slot and everything worked fine as did using the same RAM stick in the first slot, so I assumed it was down to a faulty motherboard socket, so I went and bought a new one to replace it and viola everything works fine again, for a while. Around April or May this year I started running into the same issues again on this new motherboard, however now sometimes when I reseat the RAM multiple times it starts working again for a while then it starts BSODing usually with errors related to different graphics drivers. I tried updating the GPU drivers multiple times as well as the Chipset drivers and it didn't really seem to do much. I'm starting to wander if maybe the issue isn't actually entirely to do with the RAM stick or motherboard and that possibly there could be another underlying issue causing it to BSOD but I'm not really entirely sure what it could be, either way I wanna see if I can narrow it down because I really don't wanna buy a new Motherboard just to run into the same issues again because something deeper is wrong with my PC.

ATM the BSODs I've gotten have both been related to dxgkernal.sys and nvlddmkm.sys

Should also add that when reseating the RAM it's not uncommon for it to not boot until I've reseated it a couple times, usually with an orange light on the motherboard that goes to red and then white when it's "fixed".

Last edited:
May 23, 2022
Specs of the modules used (and the rest of your pc) please :)

AMD Ryzen 5 1600X Six-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
Corsair Vengeance LED 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) at 2666mhz
ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING II
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW2 GAMING iCX
WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB Internal SSD
As well as a 1TB SSD connected by SATA I forget the name of and an ancient 1TB HDD I've had since like 2013
an and Asus AX3000 (Pce-AX58BT) wifi adapter
gonna go look and see what wattage the PSU is really fast.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022
Early was no longer even making it to the BIOS with second RAM stick installed, tried reseating the CPU, found Themal Paste had gotten around the sides of the CPU, cleaned it off, Now it has gotten to OS again, not sure if fixed though. The BSODs usually happen about once per day.