Question Reserved memory spiked upon CPU change

Jan 22, 2022
I have a Lenovo D20 Thinkstation.
I had 2 Xeon 5550 CPU installed, with 48GB of ram of 8GB sticks.

I replaced the 5550's with 2 Xeon 5690's. Hardware reserved memory jumped from zero (if I remember correctly) to 16GB.

I've tried every solution I could find here and elsewhere to reduce/eliminate that reserved memory to no avail.

I'm baffled. Why would changing the CPU have such an effect? I might be missing some obscure hardware fact.

Is it possible I introduced HW damage somewhere?

Is there some corner case solution I should try? What would that be?

Some info about the system (from System Info):
Installed physical memory: 48GB
Total physical memory: 32GB
BIOS Version/Date: Lenovo 61KT48AUS, 5/19/2011
Version: 6.1.7601 SP 1 Build 7601

There is a BIOS update available but I'm afraid to upgrade it. Should I do it? Is it relevant?

Help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
I have a Lenovo D20 Thinkstation.
I had 2 Xeon 5550 CPU installed, with 48GB of ram of 8GB sticks.

I replaced the 5550's with 2 Xeon 5690's. Hardware reserved memory jumped from zero (if I remember correctly) to 16GB.

I've tried every solution I could find here and elsewhere to reduce/eliminate that reserved memory to no avail.

I'm baffled. Why would changing the CPU have such an effect? I might be missing some obscure hardware fact.

Is it possible I introduced HW damage somewhere?

Is there some corner case solution I should try? What would that be?

Some info about the system (from System Info):
Installed physical memory: 48GB
Total physical memory: 32GB
BIOS Version/Date: Lenovo 61KT48AUS, 5/19/2011
Version: 6.1.7601 SP 1 Build 7601

There is a BIOS update available but I'm afraid to upgrade it. Should I do it? Is it relevant?

Help is much appreciated.
Any time you do a CPU upgrade, a BIOS update is a good idea, BUT BEFORE you swap CPUs.
Since the notes on the BIOS udpate -- https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds014087-flash-bios-update-thinkstation-d20-c20-c20x
have updated microcode it could help. I don't know if there were multiple revisions of the X5690 CPU.
I would re-seat all 6 DIMMs and be sure you have them in the proper slots.