Question Reserved Ram

Oct 27, 2019
I have noticed and been trying to fix reserved ram in my pc for ages now. I previously had the motherboard: asus m5a78l -
I tried many options such as:
  • turning off reserved memory for on board graphics.
  • un-checking maximum memory box.
  • Disabling windows update.
  • Checked my ram to make sure all 4 sticks are working
  • Made sure im running 64 bit

I have changed motherboard as when checking my ram the motherboard had 2 dead slots. The motherboard i have now is gigabyte 78lmt-usb3 r2
My ram is - https://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-HX3...76&hvtargid=pla-439427539416&psc=1&th=1&psc=1
Graphics card - Amd radeon r9 280
I checked the ram support list and it isn't on there however it should be able to work as it supports that rams speed.
The ram was bought in pairs to which i dont know what two ram were brought together. i have 4 sticks
anyone got any ideas?

kanewolf

Titan
Only recognises half of my ram. i brought 2 sets of 2*4gbs
You might be able to manually set the timing values and/or add a little voltage to get them to play together. There is no standard answer. You will have to play with the the values in the BIOS. It may take many attempts.
I would start by marking them as "1", "2", "3", "4" then 1 stick at a time, verify the timing and voltage values with CPUz. You should be able to see which two were a set by looking at the manufacturing date. I bet that will "bin" them.

Reactions: Lewis11
If it only recognizes half of my ram, then it is likely caused by your choice of memory.

Memory manufacturers don't guarantee that multiple kits of memory will be compatible together.

1866MHz memory speed is only supported with two DIMMs on an AM3+ platform. The GA-78LMT-USB3R2 uses the low-end AMD 760G Chipset and only supports 1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules.

Memory Clock BIOS Option: This option is configurable only when Set Memory Clock is set to Manual. Options are: X4.00, X5.33, X6.66, X8.00.

The X8.00 setting corresponds to 1600MHz. A X9.33 setting would be for 1866MHz, however that setting is not available on that low end entry level motherboard.

Reactions: Lewis11
Oct 27, 2019
If it only recognizes half of my ram, then it is likely caused by your choice of memory.

Memory manufacturers don't guarantee that multiple kits of memory will be compatible together.

1866MHz memory speed is only supported with two DIMMs on an AM3+ platform. The GA-78LMT-USB3R2 uses the low-end AMD 760G Chipset and only supports 1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules.

Memory Clock BIOS Option: This option is configurable only when Set Memory Clock is set to Manual. Options are: X4.00, X5.33, X6.66, X8.00.

The X8.00 setting corresponds to 1600MHz. A X9.33 setting would be for 1866MHz, however that setting is not available on that low end entry level motherboard.
My ram speed is 1600MHz so it should support it.

Oct 27, 2019
You might be able to manually set the timing values and/or add a little voltage to get them to play together. There is no standard answer. You will have to play with the the values in the BIOS. It may take many attempts.
I would start by marking them as "1", "2", "3", "4" then 1 stick at a time, verify the timing and voltage values with CPUz. You should be able to see which two were a set by looking at the manufacturing date. I bet that will "bin" them.
Thanks for your response, ill let you know how it goes :)

Oct 27, 2019
Four DIMMs may only support 1333. I would start by setting it to 1333 first. See if that "fixes" it. AMD AM3+ motherboards are very picky about four DIMMs. I could never get my FX to run 4 dimms at anything except 1333 and those were purchased as a matched set.
set it to 1333 to no avail. reckon swapping them around keeping it at the same speed? Would you like a screenshot of what cpu-z has to say? task manager etc?

Oct 27, 2019

My ram runs at 1600MHz so i didnt think it would be a problem? i set it to lower speeds and no avail. All sticks are working and i labelled them and tried them each time. However my pc does not start with only 1 stick of ram.