Question Reserving cores for games

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdrianVaughan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2016
Ok this may be a dumb question , but am trying to find a way to keep 1 or maybe 2 cores free for gaming on my cpu...is that possible ? the reason am asking is when i play games on my ryzen 1600 one gets to about 96% am not sure if its cos the core is sharing windows or other things as well or my cpu is at the limit now of games, was wondering if there was a way i could test it.

Thanks Ade

AdrianVaughan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2016
Howto set affinity for an app on win10

You can assign priority to processes.

What's your gpu? List specs:

cpu: r5 1600
cooler:
board:
mem (inc part no if poss):

psu:
gpu:
drives:
chassis:
fans:

cpu: r5 1600
cooler: h100i v2
board: msi b350 tomahawk
mem (inc part no if poss): Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16

psu: corsair 600w
gpu: evga 1070
drives: ssd , m.2 and a hdd
chassis:nothing super
fans:10 fans , 3 front, 2 top , 1 back 3 bottom

you can assign priority to processes. but does that mean that no windows stuff cos on it ? cos i don't see anything with setting that way to stop other things apart from gaming on that core do that ?

AdrianVaughan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2016
i was only trying to test if my cpu is at its limit for gaming, which is why i wanted to know if it was possible to use a single or 2 cores for just gaming and having no other background stuff using them cores. Then i could see if when 1 core hits 95% if its just the game doing that or its a mix of game and window stuff cos when idle my cores are around 6 to 10 % when just windows on

DavidM012

Distinguished
It's the game + the gpu plus whatever detail settings, the cpu usage will go down at lower resolutions and settings, so the answer is obviously the gpu is nearly maxing out the cpu but it's not all 100% usage but if you aren't experiencing any glitches or lag there is nothing abnormal about it

What game in particular is maxing out one core? You probably won't do a better job than windows assigning resources and there aren't many user modifiable settings for that. Some games are more multi threaded than others, but you can't re-engineer your desktop pc & game software in any way.

Linus tech tips thinks it shouldn't be a bottleneck. You shouldn't need to worry about it.

Reactions: AdrianVaughan
Status
Not open for further replies.