Reset PC Win 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainmat

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
I resorted to try to reset my new Win 10 install. But, as soon as I select "Reset this PC" a screen shows up says: "Choose your Keyboard Layout" and the very first choice of course is "US", but my
mouse is disabled suddenly and I try to navigate with the keyboard, which I've had some experience, but it seems all the keys are disabled also. So, I can't get past one of the very first screens to even reset Windows 10. anybody got any ideas for me? Please help, and thank you
in advance...

Solution
How to do a clean install

Dowload the ISO here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

(Meaning, go here and run the mediacreator to download the files required to install Windows 10.)

Use this tool to create USB or DVD installation media using the downloaded ISO: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

(Meaning, when you get to the part of the media creator in the first step up above, don't choose the "install now" option. Choose the option to save the file for installation on another machine. Then use THIS tool to create installation media, meaning a USB drive or DVD disk, for installation on your other machine.)

Windows 10 clean install tutorial...
Hopefully you have any important files already backed up to another location. If you don't, that was your first mistake. I'd make every attempt to do so now even if it means using another computer to access those files. If you do, then I'd use the following method to do a clean install.

Prior to installing as outlined by another of our members:

1) Check that the software and hardware you mostly use are comptible with Windows 10 and have drivers available

2) Make sure to update all necessary drivers and Windows updates

3) Some devices might need a specific driver to operate with Windows 10, it might be a good idea to download these Windows 10 compatible versions prior to upgrading to have them ready

4) Backup all and any important files from your computer to a cloud service or external harddrive

5) Create recovery media for your current Windows install, if you have a OEM pc/laptop refer to the user manual or check the website of the manufacturer for how to create the recovery media for your device (some people have been unable to use the rollback feature after upgrading to Windows 10)

Dowload the ISO here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Use this tool to create USB or DVD installation media using the downloaded ISO: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Windows 10 clean install tutorial:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Mainmat

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
Hello sir, first I would like to thank you for taking the time to look into my issue. I wish I would have bumped into you and Tom's Hardware right about
2 weeks ago today. I have a very long and painful story, but I'll not put you through it as best as I can.
BTW on a side note, I'm on my Win 7 desktop since my main desktop, a Dell Inspiron 570, was the lucky PC to get the windows 10 upgrade.
Ok, I guess what I am trying to relay to you is, I have been through nearly 2 weeks solid of troubleshooting and running (fixes), and trying numerous
attempts to fix my win 10, to no avail. Actually, my upgrade went off without a hitch, so I thought. Even now, (today), the machine is up and running
fine. But, who would believe one small issue could cause such a , well 2 weeks of troubleshooting. But, I had decided one last attempt to just try the reset
and if that didn't work, wipe the entire drive and put a fresh Win 7 back on there....
OK, here is the problem: The machine cannot/will not DOWNLOAD anything. Apps, Windows updates, new definitions, you name it, I cannot download it.
If you think about it, that pretty much eliminates 3/4 of all troubleshooting solutions right there, due to the fact I cannot download anything. I can't reset,
I didn't even get the option to roll back to Win 7, like I keep reading is supposed to be an option.. Like I said, I've tried many things, to include following the instructions of some pretty knowledgeable folks on the Microsoft Community site, where I had a ticket for a couple weeks. Other than the no download issue, win 10 is running great. I've learned a lot about it already. In fact, I didn't even know I had a problem until an app was having trouble updating and it hit me, OMG! I immediately figured out how to find Windows updates and sure enough, there a list of updates already there, each with 'fail' at the end.
But, I like your idea and thank you for the link on the Win 10 clean install tutorial. But, I'm not sure about tryin ole Win 10 out again. I'm a little Leary of it
after all I've been through with it already. A clean Win 7 install sounds better to me, but of course, I would rather have Win 10 but I just don't think it's ready for the general public. But, I'll be glad to listen to any input from you and anyone else with some info... Ok, if I left out anything, let me know. Oh, don't worry about backups/files and that, those I rescued long ago..

No, actually it doesn't. You can download drivers or installation media on another device, put them on a flash drive or DVD and install them on the target machine. Downloading is never necessary. It sound to me like Windows 10 installed incompatible or unworkable drivers for your machine which is causing your issues. Since you've already installed the OS and it's been activated, I'd suggest using the guide above to create installation media using a different machine and then perform a clean install as outlined.

And it's fine for the general public. Problems with drivers and new driver frameworks is nothing new. We went through this same thing with Windows 8.1 and it's WDDM (Windows display driver model) changes as well as many other drivers requiring newer versions to be released for compatibility. It took many months for the driver issues to be sorted out.

This is really not a Microsoft problem, but a problem with all the different hardware manufacturers not having adequate Windows 10 drivers ready for their devices. Most of them don't want to be bothered to develop new drivers for hardware that was intended for use with older operating systems. They would prefer that you bought new hardware designed for and compatible with windows 10 out of the box, so to speak.

Mainmat

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
I don't know what happened here. I clicked on reply and didn't get a box to reply in. Anyway, that's a great idea and sounds like a good way out of this thing. The only problem is, there are a few terms and phrases that I'm not familiar with. I'll try to paste them in here:

1) Check that the software and hardware you mostly use are comptible with Windows 10 and have drivers available
(not sure how to check compatibility with Win 10, For example what Hardware/Software?)

2) "using the guide above to create installation media using a different machine"
(What part are you referring to when you say, "guide"? Also, I'm unsure what you mean by "installation meda" ?)
I believe I would be stretching my PC knowledge a bit too far if I were to attempt this using a different machine
without a step by step instruction. I retired out of the computer field in 2004 and a lot has happened since then.

Anyway, that's about it. I want to give you the credit for you information, and I am unfamiliar with this site, so if I need
to do anything else for you sir, pls let me know. I'll click 'Answer' on you next reply if that's all I need to do... Thanks again sir...

(Meaning, go here and run the mediacreator to download the files required to install Windows 10.)

(Meaning, when you get to the part of the media creator in the first step up above, don't choose the "install now" option. Choose the option to save the file for installation on another machine. Then use THIS tool to create installation media, meaning a USB drive or DVD disk, for installation on your other machine.)

Windows 10 clean install tutorial:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

(This one is self explanatory and if you check it out you'll see that it IS a step by step tutorial on how to do a clean install of windows 10 once you've created installation media on USB or DVD using the first two steps.)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.