[SOLVED] Reset this PC feature helps to anything? Program response and startup speed

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
Should I do reset this PC on my Windows 10 pro computerto recover speed? I think in overtime my system become a bit slower in general and my SSD is ok in terms of health and all, but I think it was much more faster when I got it first like years ago. I thought SSDs are more durable no? My other concern is even if I do reset this PC (with keep files) am I going to get regedit/shortcut problems? Broken shortcuts broken paths etc, I read somewhere on google that Windows 10 does not save regedit and program path information,

thanks in advance

Solution
if you did a reset you would have to reinstall all your programs again. So yes, it doesn't save program path info as it doesn't intend to save all the programs anyway. If you have files on another drive or partition of the ssd, the install won't know they exist so I guess that is one shortcut problem. You would need to reinstall them or if steam games, point the client at the old library folder, as it should find the games and no need a reinstall of their files.

Win 10 version installs are essentially a fresh install every 6 months, so resetting windows is just more of the same. it may not achieve what you set out to do.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you did a reset you would have to reinstall all your programs again. So yes, it doesn't save program path info as it doesn't intend to save all the programs anyway. If you have files on another drive or partition of the ssd, the install won't know they exist so I guess that is one shortcut problem. You would need to reinstall them or if steam games, point the client at the old library folder, as it should find the games and no need a reinstall of their files.

Win 10 version installs are essentially a fresh install every 6 months, so resetting windows is just more of the same. it may not achieve what you set out to do.

Solution